Timming for this machine. need advise

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by wert, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. wert

    wert Guest

    I want to get the most of my machine so I am asking some timings from
    the group. TIA

    Motherboard
    CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+
    Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 3 DDR
    DIMM, Dual LAN, IEEE-1394)
    Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 SPP
    System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award (09/27/05)
    Display
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (128 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
    Monitor ViewSonic E90f-2 [19" CRT]
    Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID 09/27/2005-nVidia-nForce-A7N8XC-00
    Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X Deluxe

    Front Side Bus Properties
    Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 400 MHz
    Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

    Memory Bus Properties
    Bus Type Dual DDR SDRAM
    Bus Width 128-bit
    DRAM:FSB Ratio 1:1
    Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 400 MHz
    Bandwidth 6400 MB/s
    DIMM1: Corsair CMX512-3200LL
    DIMM2: Corsair CMX512-3200LL
    Field Value
    Memory Module Properties
    Module Name Corsair CMX512-3200LL
    Serial Number None
    Module Size 512 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
    Module Type Unbuffered
    Memory Type DDR SDRAM
    Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Module Width 64 bit
    Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
    Error Detection Method None
    Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

    Memory Timings
    @ 200 MHz 2.0-3-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

    wert, Aug 7, 2006

  2. wert

    Paul Guest

    Well, what is the question ? I have a very similar setup, and
    that is what I use. I have some 2-2-2-6 memory in mine.

    One thing you might check, is if the DIMMs are inserted in
    dual channel config. For dual channel, one stick goes in
    the "lonely slot". The second stick goes in either of
    the other two slots. Using the picture in the manual,
    dual channel is DIMM1+DIMM3 or DIMM2+DIMM3 for your two
    512MB sticks.

    Note that the Nforce2 is picky about RAM. When running
    in dual channel mode, at DDR400 rates, that is the most
    taxing config for the Northbridge. You should try running
    Prime95 (www.mersenne.org) and its "torture test" option.
    It is a Windows or Linux program that does a calculation
    with a known answer, and can detect subtle problems with
    the processor or with the memory. It is a good test to see
    if your combo of memory and Northbridge is working OK.
    If it stops with an error within minutes, you've got trouble,
    otherwise it should run for hours.

    If the memory doesn't seem to be running clean, you have
    a "DDR reference voltage" setting. Get the datasheet for
    your RAM and see what the limit is for Vdimm. 2.7V should
    be safe with any memory, and I think that is what I'm using
    right now. Use only as much voltage as is needed to
    stabilize the memory, and stay below whatever voltage
    the product info states is the max. Using excess voltage
    only makes the memory run hot, and in extreme cases, has
    been known to destroy memory overnight.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 7, 2006