Tip/warning about Leopard permissions fixing under pre 10.5 systems

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ilgaz Öcal, Nov 12, 2007.

  1. Ilgaz Öcal

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    Hi,

    I just saw this on Alsoft website and I wanted to share since it was
    exactly what I would do from my 10.4.10 partition if I have installed
    Leopard.

    Do not attempt to fix Leopard permissions from Pre Leopard OS X
    partitions or boot DVD/CDs.

    http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/support.html (content may change)

    Pasting full article:

    1) You should not use any utility to repair permissions of a Leopard
    start up disk while started from Mac OS X 10.4.x or earlier.
    Permissions will either not be be repaired or will be repaired
    improperly. This is true whether you repair permissions with Apple's
    Disk Utility, DiskWarrior, or any other third-party utility. Regardless
    of which utility you use, the same service within Mac OS X is used to
    perform the actual permissions repair so the behavior is always the
    same.

    To repair permissions of a Leopard startup disk, be sure you've always
    started your Mac from Leopard. Alsoft also recommends using only the
    Disk Utility included with Leopard to repair permissions until an
    updated version of DiskWarrior is released.

    Note: If you have used any utility to repair permissions of a Leopard
    startup disk while started from Mac OS X 10.4 or earlier, Alsoft
    recommends that you perform an upgrade install of Leopard over your
    existing Leopard install. This will restore any changed permissions to
    their original values without altering your data.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Nov 12, 2007

  2. Heh. As far as I can recall, I've never done a repair permissions
    before, but Apple's own utility, run after I boot from the install dvd,
    causes the system to hang.

    Fun stuff.

    Makes one wonder how many dozens of computers Apple tested Leopard on
    before shiping? 1/2? 1/4?

    Lawson English, Nov 12, 2007

  3. Ilgaz Öcal

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    In my logic (that is why I rushed this post), Disk Utility should check
    /Library/Receipts for packages and some system directory packages to
    get correct rights on the disk which permissions repaired and
    repair/alert as neccessary. As far as I know, until Leopard, you could
    even use 10.2.8 repair permissions to Tiger boot disk.

    I have no clue what they changed and why?

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Nov 12, 2007
  4. One thing that changed with Leopard is that ACL is now enabled on all
    volumes by default, but I too have no clue whether that has anything to
    do with Alsoft's warning about repairing permissions.

    Neill Massello, Nov 12, 2007
  5. Ilgaz Öcal

    David Empson Guest

    Another difference is that /Library/Receipts has undergone a significant
    overhaul and rearrangement. Earlier versions won't know what to make of
    it. There are now "boms" and "db" subdirectories that weren't there
    before.

    David Empson, Nov 12, 2007