TIP won't load! (tried everything- pls help)

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Aussie Blue Boy, Apr 20, 2007.

  1. To save explaining elaborately this thread is an EXACT description of my
    problem...

    http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive39-2004-11-97413.html

    which Chris Hassler was involved in but unfortunately it then stopped dead.

    I've tried all the same steps and for a while had a TIP with pen input but
    no keypad buttons whatsoever. However, unfortunately when I tried
    reinstalling SP2 in SafeMode it resulted in the TIP disappearing completely,
    only the icon is present in the tray.
    My grief seemed to have started when I installed Outlook Business Contacts
    Manager 2007.
    I had only just done a complete system cleanup and reinstall at Easter so am
    loathe to do THAT again soon. I've had a successful install of the rest of
    Office2007 Pro since the Easter cleanup but hadn't bothered with
    Bus.Ctct.Mgr. until now - with much regret!
    Naturally I've removed Bus.Ctct.Mgr and I've tried System Restore from 3
    days before hand- no joy.

    My machine is Toshiba M200, XP, SP2 (sic) 1Gb RAM, 1.4Ghz cpu.

    Also have .NET Framework 1.1 (1.1.4322) and .NET Framework 2.0 (2.0.50727)
    installed as well as all Windows Update patches.

    I'm really hoping to avoid a complete install again as I lost 500Mb of DRM
    music as WindowsMediaPlayer11 doesn't support license backup!

    Can someone help?

    Aussie Blue Boy, Apr 20, 2007

  2. Aussie Blue Boy

    Chris H Guest

    That's a very old copy of this newsgroup being brought into a web format.
    :cool:

    Did you try this: At the Command Prompt (within the C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink enter "regsvr32 inkobj.dll" without the quotation
    marks, then Enter and then "regsvr32 tpcps.dll" (without quotes) then Enter
    again. Restart your machine after finishing each of those two modifications
    to the Registry.

    Remember, this is done in the Command Prompt window, not from the Start Menu
    "run" line.

    You say the TIP icon is in the Taskbar? Is it functional, i.e., it will
    launch the Tablet Input Panel?
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H, Apr 20, 2007

  3. Thanks for your reply Chris.
    Yes I've tried that several times. I followed all the steps you went
    through with Luca in that other thread and pls treat his responses as a
    carbon copy of mine, including all the file info he posted.
    I've also de-installed, re-installed SP2 and at least have a form of the TIP
    back, i.e. still no keypad in the "onscreen keyboard" tab just a blank blue
    form.
    By the way there are no 'buttons' in the ink input tab either, e.g. enter
    (most important), backspace etc. - nothing!
    I was hopeful when you posted your last in that thread saying that you had
    at least duplicated the issue, I know it was 2 years ago, but can you
    remember what you did to resolve it?
    Again, not looking forward to having to reinstall everything.

    -Chris C.
    Melbourne, Australia

    Aussie Blue Boy, Apr 21, 2007
  4. Aussie Blue Boy

    Chris H Guest

    I have trouble remembering two days ago, but I haven't experienced the
    issue. I only tried to solve it. Let me research a bit more, and I'll post
    back soon.

    Chris H, Apr 21, 2007
  5. Aussie Blue Boy

    Chris H Guest

    Another question. Do you happen to be using the XP TweakUI (or similar)
    PowerToy on the system? Things like this can occur if you enable the
    Activation follows mouse (X-Mouse) option.

    Chris H, Apr 21, 2007
  6. No, not using it.

    Just in case it helps, here is the latest tserver.exe.config script...

    <configuration>
    <startup>
    <requiredRuntime version="v1.1.4322" safemode="true"/>
    </startup>
    <runtime>
    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
    <publisherPolicy apply="no" />
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="TIPLibrary"
    publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" />
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.7.2600.2180-1.7.2600.2657"
    newVersion="1.7.2600.2657" />
    </dependentAssembly>
    </assemblyBinding>
    </runtime>
    </configuration>

    thanks for your efforts Chris.

    Aussie Blue Boy, Apr 21, 2007
  7. Aussie Blue Boy

    MiniMage Guest

    Mine, from my R2H:

    <configuration>
    <startup>
    <requiredRuntime version="v1.0.3705" safemode="true"/>
    </startup>
    <runtime>
    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
    <publisherPolicy apply="no" />
    </assemblyBinding>
    </runtime>
    </configuration>

    Killing tabtip and tcserve on my v1250, then copying all that would copy
    of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink from my UMPC to my
    tablet fixed this problem for me. I'm pretty sure that, like you, I had a
    much longer config file in there before.

    TW

    MiniMage, Apr 22, 2007
  8. Hallelujah!

    You wouldn't believe it: I'd given up on a result and have just spent
    several hours documenting all my critical data locations, install files,
    doing back-ups, preparing for another "wipe-clean" windows install...

    .... I just got to dotnet framework and was faced with versions 1 & 2 having
    the same download file name; so l clicked on what I thought was 2.0 just to
    make sure and was presented with the Repair or Remove options.

    I almost didn't, but thought "what the hell", then chose Repair...,
    Reboot...

    and VOILA!

    Full keyboard TIP- what a sight for sore eyes!

    And I was within an hour of starting the re-install process, too...

    As you no doubt can tell, my relief is palpable.

    thank you Chris and MiniMage for taking the time to respond; I appreciate
    it.

    (catch you at The Buzz again sometime.)

    Chris

    Aussie Blue Boy, Apr 24, 2007
  9. Aussie Blue Boy

    Chris H Guest

    That is probably is just coincidence. I run both 1.x and 2.x versions of
    ..NET on my Tablets here, and haven't seen the issue you were having. The
    different versions do different things, different things are written to the
    different versions, and 1.x and 2.x are not interchangeable since the
    programs which use them only access the version to which they're written.
    :cool: Glad it is working anyway!

    Chris H, Apr 24, 2007
  10. Chris, I think my description of events might have thrown you off track a bit.
    It WAS a coincidence, but only in terms of me opening the 2.0 version
    install file.
    You see I have both installed as well and it's only because the two files
    are named the same that I opened one to make sure which was which.
    Then, as described, I decided to let the 'Repair' function run its course.

    My problem started with an install of Business Contact Manager and I've been
    trying absolutely everything except it seems a "re-install" of the dotnet
    framework (which hadn't occurred to me might be necessary).

    So it seems something in the Bus.Ctc.Mgr. set up screwed around with .net
    2.0 and hence my TIP problem.

    I won't be trying to run with B.C.M. any time soon, I never had any luck
    (only problems) with the Office 2003 version either: so it's very
    disappointing I've never been able to try/trust this product.

    Thanks again for your interest,

    - Chris

    Aussie Blue Boy, Apr 24, 2007