To Dual Channel or Not to Dual Channel, That is ...

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Magnusfarce, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. Magnusfarce

    Magnusfarce Guest

    Greetings -

    I'm building the system described below and will do some mild to moderate
    overclocking. I have assumed up to now that I would configure the memory in
    dual channel mode. However, I'm starting to believe from things I've read
    that my speed increase won't be that significant in dual mode, maybe only 10
    percent or so. Can anyone give me an idea what the gains would be for dual
    mode versus letting the system run with all the memory (2 gb) in convention
    single channel mode? (BTW, I expect to oc the memory to around 433 mhz.)
    Thanks.

    - Magnusfarce

    Motherboard: Abit AN8 Fatal1ty SLI

    Processor: Athlon 64 X2 4400+ CPU

    CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500

    Memory: Corsair TwinX 4x512 PC3200

    Graphics: eVGA 7800GT CO, oc'd to 470

    Cooler: Zalman Fatal!ty Graphics Cooler

    PSU: Enermax Noisetaker 600w

    Main HDD's: WDigital 76gb Raptor (OS, apps)

    Data HDD's: WD2500 SATA-2, 250gb, 16mb cache

    (paired in RAID 1)

    CD Burner: Plextor Plexwriter Premium

    DVD Burner: Sony DR800 Dual Layer

    Case: CoolerMaster CMStacker

    OS: XP Pro

    Magnusfarce, Dec 30, 2005

  2. Magnusfarce

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:34:52
    -0800, in alt.comp.hardware.overclocking, the queezy keyboard of
    "Magnusfarce" <> spewed the following:

    |Greetings -
    |

    |I'm building the system described below and will do some mild to moderate
    |overclocking. I have assumed up to now that I would configure the memory in
    |dual channel mode. However, I'm starting to believe from things I've read
    |that my speed increase won't be that significant in dual mode, maybe only 10
    |percent or so. Can anyone give me an idea what the gains would be for dual
    |mode versus letting the system run with all the memory (2 gb) in convention
    |single channel mode? (BTW, I expect to oc the memory to around 433 mhz.)
    |Thanks.

    You get double performance with dual channel
    http://www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_520DDRwhitepaper.pdf.
    Your system is real close to what I run; same mobo, ram, a pair of
    6800gt's, instead of the 7800gt. You are going to smile everytime you
    sit down to it. I have set my 4 sticks of XMS to 433, cas 2.5 and the
    FSB is at 213. The RAM flakes at 215 fsb. DDR voltage will need to be
    bumped to 2.70. Stable, fast, deadly. Not one single problem with this
    system.

    --

    -nos1eep

    Scaling up the heights of folly.
    non est ponenda pluritas sine necessitate

    nos1eep, Dec 30, 2005

  3. Only in your wildest dreams. :) Sure, there are some
    gains. But the maximum theoretical benefits never turn
    into real world improvements. Far from it, sadly.

    It's a great marketing gimmick though.

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Dec 30, 2005
  4. Magnusfarce

    Alyssa Guest

    Everylittle bit helps. So if you have Pcie and raid and Doual channel
    and SATA 2 NCQing. Your system will be faster than the person who has
    not got these things.

    Just not a huge ammount faster. But faster :)

    Alyssa, Dec 30, 2005
  5. Magnusfarce

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Fri, 30 Dec 2005 03:10 +0000
    (GMT Standard Time), in alt.comp.hardware.overclocking, the queezy
    keyboard of (Andrew MacPherson)
    spewed the following:

    | (nos1eep) wrote:
    |
    |> You get double performance with dual channel
    |
    |Only in your wildest dreams. :) Sure, there are some
    |gains. But the maximum theoretical benefits never turn
    |into real world improvements. Far from it, sadly.
    |
    |It's a great marketing gimmick though.

    One must learn to ignore anything that conflicts with marketing.

    ROFL
    --

    -nos1eep

    One night at Cheers, Cliff Clavin explained the "Buffalo Theoryā€¯
    to his buddy, Norm. "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd
    of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when
    the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back
    that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd
    as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group
    keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In
    much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the
    slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know,
    kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest
    brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer
    eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and
    more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after
    a few beers.

    nos1eep, Dec 30, 2005
  6. Magnusfarce

    dannysdailys Guest

    Magnusfarcewrote
    Greetings
    Yes, indeed you are correct, 7% is the more likely gain if you're no
    using onboard video

    Dual Channel was originally invented by Nvidia as a way of makin
    their onboard video products must faster. It works for that. And
    that's about it

    dannysdailys, Dec 30, 2005
  7. That description is essentially correct for the XP line where you typically
    had 400Mhz memory feeding a 400MHz processor FSB, or 333Mhz memory feeding
    a 333 Mhz FSB, and so on. Even if you had infinitely fast memory it still
    can't get to the processor any faster than the FSB speed.

    In the higher end P4s, however, you have 400 MHz memory feeding an 800Mhz
    FSB. Dual channel simply matches the FSB capability and does improve
    processor performance.

    The Althon64 avoids the FSB issue entirely with the on-die memory
    controller. There's simply no intervening FSB to limit it.

    The problem is that 'doubling the speed' of any individual subsystem seldom
    results in an overall *system* performance increase anywhere near the
    individual 'double' number because overall performance is a combination of
    the whole, not just one thing.

    It's also difficult to benchmark precisely because, for example, a
    processor benchmark only checks the performance of the processor itself
    when it's instruction fetch is essentially the only load on the memory but
    what happens when AGP is texture sharing into memory at the same time? And
    disk I/O is DMAing in/out of memory at the same time? And when video is
    streaming in/out and the processor is processing it in/out of memory at the
    same time?

    I'm not sure why the OP is pondering it so intensely on a new build. Is
    there some significant problem with simply using half size sticks for dual
    channel vs large ones? Seems to me that if the system is dual channel
    capable then the performance increase, regardless of how 'small' one opines
    it is, comes close to being 'free', which is a pretty good bang for the
    buck ratio.

    David Maynard, Dec 30, 2005