    games, and I'm not sure if it would be worth it to spend that kinda cash on
    a cable, especially if she does no gaming, or video editing.

    John

    John Edmister, Dec 29, 2005

  2. The consumer stores sell cables for ten times what you can get them for
    online. You can get a 6 to 10 foot DVI cable for about $10, give or
    take. Try www.compgeeks.com, or dozens of other online stores. (FWIW,
    I've seen USB cables for $30 at Best Buy, so this applies to all kinds
    of cables).

    DVI is significantly better than analog. But you don't need to "spend
    that kind of cash".

    Barry Watzman, Dec 29, 2005

  3. John Edmister

    J. Clarke Guest

    Might, depending.

    The online price for DVI cables is under 15 bucks.

    Never buy a cable from a big box store unless you absolutely positively
    gotta have it _now_ or you need to look at it before you're sure it's the
    right one. Markups on cables are ludicrous. Best "big box" prices I've
    seen on cables are at Home Depot but they're still high. You can try Best
    Buy--they may have a "geek squad" cable that's reasonably priced--they
    don't show them on the Web site though.

    J. Clarke, Dec 29, 2005
  4. John Edmister

    PWY Guest

    John

    I have the 930B and had the same experience as you when I went cable
    shopping. I went to New Egg.com and bought a cable for 16.95 last April. The
    difference was not earthshaking but the screen does somehow appear a bit
    cleaner. That's the only way I can describe it. The cable, in my opinion,
    was worth the money. The picture from TV card is much improved also.

    PWY

    PWY, Dec 29, 2005
  5. John Edmister

    First of One Guest

    See the other posts about getting cables online. Remarkably, even
    "superstores" like Staples can charge double the price for small items like
    cables compared to an online retailer.

    And if you thought DVI cables are expensive, take a peek at HDMI...

    First of One, Dec 29, 2005
  6. John Edmister

    Markeau Guest

    If one experiences ghosting using analog, then dvi is well worth it.
    By necessity, I had been using various 15' analog cables all of which
    experienced ghosting until I finally got a dvi-capable panel (Dell
    2405) and wow all ghosting totally is gone via dvi.

    Markeau, Dec 30, 2005
  7. See my series of posts on 12/26 at 11:05 Re: 9600 XT fuzzy image on LCD.

    Most people with analog monitors have no idea just how bad their image
    is, compared to what it could be with DVI, or even with a really good
    analog cable and proper dot-clock adjustment.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 30, 2005
  8. John Edmister

    Charles Sapp Guest

    My Viewsonic VX924 came with both VGA and DVI cables. Difference between the
    two is VERY notable. Now using DVI cable.

    Charles Sapp, Dec 31, 2005