To Firewall or not to Firewall, that is the Question

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ben Myers, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    I have to pour some more naplam on Ron Reaugh's fire(wall). The electronic
    newsletter from long-time noted Windows authority Brian Livingston has this to
    say about the firewall built into Windows XP SP2:

    Emulate the Windows Firewall. Windows XP SP2 ships with Windows Firewall, a
    personal firewall program that provides protection against network-based
    attacks.

    Windows Firewall has one major failing that third-party firewalls do a much
    better job of addressing. Because Windows Firewall protects only against
    incoming attacks, it cannot help you if you unknowingly install a malicious
    software program that attempts to "phone home."

    We recommend Zone Labs' ZoneAlarm, which offers a free version. This firewall is
    more full-featured than Windows Firewall, and does support two-way (inbound and
    outbound) protection. Heck, even SP2 users should grab a copy (and turn off
    Windows Firewall as soon as ZoneAlarm is running).

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 7, 2004

  2. The organic entity known as Ben Myers communicated the following:
    If your computer is behind a router, which I find preferable, a firewall
    that blocks only incoming traffic is pretty superfluous. As far as free
    firewalls are concerned I prefer either Outpost or Sygate to ZoneAlarm.

    Hans

    LaVacheQuiRit, Oct 7, 2004

  3. Ben Myers

    Quaoar Guest

    Further to what Ben says, the Windows Firewall is being critcised for
    not actually blocking incoming in all cases. ZA must be much improved
    from when I stopped using or recommending it several years ago; Kerio,
    Sygate are also good.

    Quaoar, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Ben Myers

    jonr Guest

    I went to the PC Flank site and ran all it's programs and my MS firewall
    did as well as the ippackets firewall I have setup on my Linux box for
    incomming. So what, facts have you seen about the faults of the MS
    firewall on incomming?

    Jon

    jonr, Oct 8, 2004