    realize that most cable connections cap off around 4Mbs but I didn't know if
    there were any other advantages offered by this gigabit mobo, at least
    pertaining to cablemodems. Thanks.

    Cyrius7, Feb 12, 2005

  2. Cyrius7

    Baad Boy Guest

    Look at capability and what you need out of the system. PERLK & PERLL sell
    for around the same price with PERLK giving you 1000 Mbps capability. If
    your current infrastructure doesn't support 1000Mbps, think about whether it
    eventually will and if you'd like to take advantage of that environment.
    Intel has a very cool multimedia presentation on combining gigabit LAN with
    Hyper-Threading technology that you may want to check out. They claim a
    4.9X performance increase over current desktop setups with 10/100.

    http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/solutions/gigabit_hyper-threading.htm

    BB

    Baad Boy, Feb 12, 2005

  3. Cyrius7

    daytripper Guest

    If this is a single pc behind *any* CM (ie: not a multi-node LAN) it's hard to
    fathom what advantages a gigabit end node would offer...

    daytripper, Feb 12, 2005
  4. Cyrius7

    Cyrius7 Guest

    As I understand it, Intel's gigabit Ethernet (on the D865PERLK) drops down
    to 10/100 when there's a lack of supporting infrastructure. But is its
    implementation of 10/100 just as compatible as on a normal 10/100 mobo?
    (such as on the D865PERLL?)

    Cyrius7, Feb 12, 2005
  5. Cyrius7

    daytripper Guest

    Certainly. All gigabit adapters will auto-negotiate link speed if allowed.

    fwiw, in my work we use Intel 82546 dual gigabit host adapters, and we do
    plenty of reliability testing with the nics running at 100mbit. No problems...

    /daytripper

    daytripper, Feb 13, 2005
  6. Cyrius7

    CJT Guest

    Only if the difference is free.

    CJT, Feb 13, 2005
  7. In general, gigabit ethernet hardware performs better at 10/100 than
    normal 10/100 ethernet card or comparable hardware included with most
    motherboards. Generally, gigabit ethernet implementations provide larger
    buffers and other performance features (such as interrupt coalescing) that's
    not usually found on fast ethernet hardware.

    In fact, if you're putting together a server and need only fast
    ethernet, you generally will get better performance and better CPU usage
    with a low-end gigabit card than a high-end fast ethernet card.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Feb 15, 2005