To iPhone or not to iPhone, that is the question

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michelle Steiner, Jun 17, 2007.

  1. I'm currently with Verizon. My LG "The V" stopped working a few days
    ago. (OK, it fell off my waistband and into the toilet bowl.) Verizon
    says I have to wait until July 1st to get a new phone at a reduced
    price; before then, I would have to pay full price.

    No Verizon phone will sync the address book with my Prius. (A few PDAs,
    like the Motorola Q, will, but I'm not all that interested in a PDA per
    se.) Most Verizon phones these days are LG branded, and no LG phone
    will sync with iSync on the Mac. (There are some third-party
    alternatives, but they don't sync, but allow only one-way
    transfers--either direction, but only one direction at a time.) I don't
    particularly care for the Motorola or Samsung phones they have, either.

    There are rumors of an ultraportable Mac laptop coming out late this
    year or early next year, and I was thinking of getting one. I'd use it
    mainly, if not exclusively, for web browsing and email.

    However, the iPhone, in addition to being part of AT&T's EDGE network
    also has WiFi (802.11g) built in, which would give me the same
    connectivity as a laptop would give me. So I was thinking that instead
    of getting another phone from Verizon and eventually getting the
    ultralaptop (if it actually does see light of day), I'd just switch to
    AT&T and get an iPhone.

    Comments, anyone?

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 17, 2007

  2. The only crippling they do is with OBEX object push with Bluetooth. The
    only way it affects me is that I can't upload the address book to my
    car. I find that it doesn't have a decent phone that can sync with the
    Mac to be a bigger issue.
    Why? How?
    AT&T/Cingular has a five-year exclusive deal with Apple for the iPhone.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 17, 2007

  3. Michelle Steiner

    Jon Guest

    Isn't it AT&T though? Or is that the same as Cingular? Forgive a
    non-American for asking stupid questions...

    Jon, Jun 17, 2007
  4. Michelle Steiner

    Doctor J Guest

    Michelle,

    I have a Verizon Chocolate. I just found a software alternative that
    runs on OS 10.3, so it claims and can sync Address Book, etc.. I
    haven't gotten it in the mail yet, but when I get it, I'll test it and
    post results in here.

    Doctor J, Jun 17, 2007
  5. Isn't it AT&T though? Or is that the same as Cingular? Forgive a
    non-American for asking stupid questions...[/QUOTE]

    AT&T and Cingular merged (or one bought out the other), and its name is
    now AT&T.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 17, 2007
  6. Michelle Steiner

    Ed Anson Guest

    Recently, AT&T bought Cingular. So now it's basically the Cingular
    network (and service) with the AT&T name.

    Ed Anson, Jun 17, 2007
  7. Michelle Steiner

    Jon Guest

    Thanks everyone. Just confused (no longer).

    Jon, Jun 17, 2007
  8. Michelle Steiner

    Jon Guest

    Clear as pea soup! :)

    Jon, Jun 18, 2007
  9. Michelle Steiner

    Guest Guest

    Perhaps things have changed in the last two years, but
    the last customer service contacts and business doings
    I've had with them made me vow to never do business with
    them again.

    That aside, their signal and coverage in my area is
    horrendous. I've had vastly better service with T-Mobile.

    Frankly, Verizon probably has the best network, and
    both Verizon and Sprint have higher-speed data than
    T-Mo and ATT's GSM/EDGE. But GSM/EDGE is much more
    useful both globally and in the ease of swapping
    phones (pull the SIM, pop it into new phone).
    There was some talk about that early on, but is that
    still the case? I've read about the exclusivity
    deal running everywhere from two weeks (unlikely)
    to six months (maybe?) to 2 years (perhaps more likely?)
    to five years (highly unlikely, I think).

    Whatever the case, as long as the only way to get
    an iPhone here is with Cingular, I certainly won't
    have one. If I can get an unlocked model from
    Europe, I may look into that. That's how I got
    my last couple of phones.

    Guest, Jun 18, 2007
  10. Just know that some features are Cingular-dependant.

    Reginald Dwight, Jun 18, 2007
  11. There was some talk about that early on, but is that still the case?
    Yes.

    Whatever the case, as long as the only way to get an iPhone here is
    with Cingular, I certainly won't have one.[/QUOTE]

    But Cingular is the new AT&T; AT&T is now running the show.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 18, 2007
  12. Michelle Steiner

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    Hey, they been buying each other up at such a quick pace, even us
    Americans can't keep up. Not a stupid question at all.

    Kurt Ullman, Jun 19, 2007
  13. Michelle Steiner

    Wes Groleau Guest

  14. Michelle Steiner

    Jon Guest

    At least I understand from the answers I got that it was a relevant one.
    Makes me feel a bit less out there. Thanks, guys. :)

    Jon, Jun 19, 2007