    it Overclocked or should I change it back. Is there a serious draw back or
    should I just enjoy the performance boost.

    Chef

    Master Chef Richard Campbell, Jun 26, 2003

  2. Master Chef Richard Campbell

    Bugsy Guest

    Oh Yes, the great OC or NOC debate.
    Bottom Line from numerous threads about this subject.Two schools of
    thinking.
    Overclocking will eventually take it's toll on a processor and shorten the
    life to a degree that is not predictable with any real certainty. Some last
    for quite awhile and others fail in shorter times.
    However, the other school believes that overclocking and getting at least 6
    months from a processor is fine since they would be moving into a new
    processor at that time frame or possibly a new motherboard and processor to
    keep current with the improvements.
    Take your pick.
    Personally, I run an XP 2700 at 400MHz with the same speed memory and 2,200
    Mhz.
    It runs about 118 Degrees F with average room temps and a decent fan and
    heatsink air cooled.
    When it quits or starts erroring I'll buy another one because I don't give a
    rats ass.

    Bugs.

    Bugsy, Jun 26, 2003

  3. On a lark last night I bummed the multiplier up on my retail Athlon
    Forget memtest86; I'd run Prime95 within Windows, while using the system
    normally (Prime95 will run at low priority, and should not have any
    noticable impact on performance. Just make sure you set the memory
    limit [Options > Cpu] to something reasonable).

    I would let this go on for at least 2 full days, preferably 3 or more,
    with Prime95 running as a tray icon. And if Prime95 doesn't report an
    error, you should be good to go.

    http://www.mersenne.org/

    Steve Trussing, Jun 28, 2003
  4. Master Chef Richard Campbell

    Witchy Guest

    I used to be with the 'naah it shortens the life of the cpu' crowd,
    but once I got my XP2600+ (having sorted out the previous random
    crashing problems) and read a lot of threads and tech websites about
    o/c I went for it.....still a bit cautious but it's run pretty much
    non-stop for a couple of weeks at 2.2ghz (175 FSB). It's sitting
    flat-lined at 50 degrees C which is exactly what my non-OCd XP1800 ran
    at.

    Oh, I also realised I pretty much upgrade every year, so if it dies,
    so what? I've had my use and fun out of it :)

    cheers

    witchy/binarydinosaurs

    Witchy, Jun 30, 2003
  5. Master Chef Richard Campbell

    kmchow Guest

    I say if your computer runs stably when o/c, why not o/c? And o/c, your CPU
    should still serve you 4-5 years?

    kmchow, Jun 30, 2003