To those people angry about not getting their OS CD...

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Tiffany, Apr 23, 2005.

  1. Tiffany

    Tiffany Guest

    Tiffany, Apr 23, 2005

  2. Tiffany

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    Why not ask them? Might be a reason.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Apr 23, 2005

  3. Tiffany

    Tiffany Guest

    Well I never contacted support. I was referring to the other people here who
    actually called support to get a CD. I honestly didn't notice that the
    install CD was missing until I browsed the threads in this newsgroup. I
    tried the online chat thing but it kept timing out. Then I looked in the
    Dell forums and there was that link I posted.

    Tiffany, Apr 23, 2005
  4. Tiffany

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    I enjoy the give and take that goes on in this group...well, most of the
    time anyway...so much that I sometimes forget about Dell's own Community
    Forum. It's a great place to get authoritative information and advice. And
    it's moderated.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Apr 23, 2005
  5. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
    click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.

    So, now what?

    tedB, Apr 23, 2005
  6. Tiffany

    Notan Guest

    Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 23, 2005
  7. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    What "Recovery CD?"

    I received no such CD with the computer.

    Do I have to make one? If so, how?

    (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
    problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
    will NEVER buy from them again.)

    tedB, Apr 23, 2005
  8. the CDR or whatever disc you are using to burn the OS too

    Dan Sgambelluri, Apr 23, 2005
  9. Tiffany

    Notan Guest

    When I go to Start | Programs | Dell Accessories | Dell ResourceCD,
    the same thing happens... Nothing.

    The system is asking me to put the ResourceCD into the drive.

    Did you receive *any* CDs with your system?

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 23, 2005
  10. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    I put a blank CD in the drive and clicked on the DELL OS RECOVERY CD
    item in the START MENU. Nothing happened.

    If I am supposed to have a special CD containing certain files on it
    that activate the OS recovery? If so, I don't have it.

    As an aside question, if I bought a legal copy of MS XP Pro OS from a
    computer shop, would that work to put the OS back on this machine if I
    ever lost it, or does DELL/MS have that simple effort thwarted
    somehow also?

    This is situation is absolutely UNBELIEVABLE.

    tedB, Apr 23, 2005
  11. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    I have no such menu item as Dell ResourceCD.

    I have only Dell OS Recovery CD.
    I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
    for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.

    Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
    the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
    still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
    Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
    described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
    item in my menu.

    I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
    wastebasket, as, I'm sure, have others from a slew of angry customers
    regarding this subject.

    tedB, Apr 23, 2005
  12. Tiffany

    Bob Johnson Guest

    I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
    I do not even have a option for "Dell OS Recovery CD" on the menu.
    Could you tell me the properties for that option and location of
    program it launches ?

    Best Regards,
    Bob Johnson
    http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
    http://www.coinsheetlinks.com

    Bob Johnson, Apr 23, 2005
  13. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    I don't know what you mean by the "properties for that option."

    I don't have a clue as to the program which it launches.

    Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.

    http://support.dell.com/support/top.../en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

    Evidently, I did not receive a CD I should have gotten.
    But then maybe not. This whole thing is totally confusing.
    I only know one thing for sure: Dell is dead as far as any
    future purchases are concerned.

    tedB, Apr 23, 2005
  14. Tiffany

    smh Guest

    You need SATA Drivers floppy which you create with Resource CD.
    What a mess!

    smh, Apr 23, 2005
  15. Tiffany

    BigJIm Guest

    thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now have
    copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
    BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.

    BigJIm, Apr 23, 2005
  16. Tiffany

    JJO Guest

    This sure seems to be a situation that is not consistent with every Dell
    shipped. I received my 2400 at the end of March and it did not include the
    resource CDs with the drivers and such but it did include XP Home with SP2.
    I have used it to format and reinstall on the 2400 without a problem. I am
    wondering though since I ordered through the small business site could the
    home site have different procedures?

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJO, Apr 23, 2005
  17. Tiffany

    Notan Guest

    Sorry if my post was confusing... I wasn't suggesting that you should
    have a ResourceCD Menu item, just that when there's a Dell Menu item,
    in your case, "OS RecoveryCD," that it requires you to put that CD
    into the drive.

    It sure sounds like you got shorted on the appropriate CD!

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 23, 2005
  18. Tiffany

    Laura Guest

    They did mention it. And I knew about the creation of the CD before I even
    called them. But for my needs the recovery CD is not enough.

    Laura, Apr 23, 2005
  19. Tiffany

    Laura Guest

    Those of us with new machines did not receive ANY OS or Recovery CDs with
    the machine. That utility is designed to create our Recovery CD in lieu of
    Dell sending us a OS CD. I haven't tried making mine yet. Maybe I should.

    Laura, Apr 23, 2005
  20. Tiffany

    Laura Guest

    That's the whole point of the conversation. Dell no longer provides OS CD or
    Recovery CDs with new machines. They provide a utility designed to create
    your own. Now it looks like that is not working for people either.

    Laura, Apr 23, 2005