    My new machine came with the CDs for AOhell and the DVD/CD burning software
    only. I did call yesterday and they are sending the OS and Driver CDs that
    they NO LONGER provide to us.

    Laura, Apr 23, 2005

  2. Tiffany

    Laura Guest

    The directions or rather the url are contained on a paper CD looking disk.
    BTW, that "copy" is only good if you have to reinstall the OS on THAT hard
    drive. If you upgrade or change your hard drive that Recovery CD is no good.
    As the name implies, it is a Recovery Cd and not a copy of XP SP2 for a
    clean new hard drive install as you seem to believe.

    Laura, Apr 23, 2005

  3. Had you been following the discussions here in
    alt.sys.pc-clone.dell in recent months you would have found out:

    MS has "encouraged" Dell/Gateway/HP-Compaq/etc to cease providing
    OEM OS install CDs to customers due to their perceived rampant
    violations of the WinXP OEM user licenses which tie the OS to the
    machine that was purchased.

    Dell's, and other's, implementation of this is to put a hidden
    partition on the HD containing a "Restore to original factory
    install" setup. Note that in addition to reinstalling the
    original WInWhatever OS, it will also reinstall all of the
    superfluous Dell add-ins - the AOL, etc, goodies that are
    responsible for most of us wanting an OS install CD so we can do
    a clean reinstall.

    The idea is that you can create an OS recovery CD from that
    hidden partition, so that you can also do a recovery if that
    hidden recovery partition is not accessible for some reason.

    So far, it appears that Dell will ship the OS install CD on
    request, although it may take an email call or two.

    Since this is not a Gateway/HP-Compaq/whatever group, information
    on their implementation of M$'s desires is not certain, but a few
    anecdotal reports here would have it that they are also acceding
    to Bill Gates' wishes in this. So good luck in finding a
    non-major vendor to buy your next computer from, since you
    probably won't want to buy from Gateway/HP-Compaq/etc who are
    doing the same thing Dell is. You might want to look somewhere
    like Alienware [http://www.alienware.com/]. At the prices they
    charge, I suspect you'll still get the OS CD with your purchase
    from them.

    Ogden Johnson III, Apr 23, 2005
  4. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:24 -0400, Ogden Johnson III

    Snipped a lot
    What I WILL do next time is go to one of the numerous shops in my area
    that custom build boxes for their customers. That way I WILL have
    control over this kind of sneaky crap.

    I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT OF ANY KIND FROM DELL.

    You might want to look somewhere

    tedB, Apr 23, 2005
  5. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:24 -0400, Ogden Johnson III

    snipped all

    I have e-mailed Dell support via their support Web page interface.

    I'll let you all know what happens when I get my answer.

    I explained the problem, and I included the URL to their Web page
    stating how to go about making the backup OS CD.

    Plus I told them I had received 2 Sonic RecordNow CDs and asked what was
    it I was supposed to get instead of the 2nd Sonic disc that I did get.

    We shall see.

    tedB, Apr 23, 2005
  6. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    Oh, how wonderful of Dell to supply me with the latest crapola which is
    a bigger headache than the old machine I left for this "latest marvel of
    Dell technology."

    It is sad to see a company like Dell turn into a outfit of bottom
    feeders who think they have to cheat people to survive.
    What riles me even more, if I would have know that all of Dell's stuff
    was being made in China, I NEVER would have bought it.

    I remember the last time we sent resources overseas at the rate we are
    to China. It was in the twenties and thirties when we shipped
    quintrillions of tons of steel to Japan. We got it all back at Pearl
    Harbor in the form of bombs and Zeros.

    tedB, Apr 23, 2005
  7. Tiffany

    Bob Johnson Guest

    I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
    Thank you for posting the URL. My 8400 does not even
    have a "Dell OS Recovery CD" option available on the
    START menu (as you originally described above),
    so I am unable to try the suggested procedure.

    Best Regards,
    Bob Johnson
    http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
    http://www.coinsheetlinks.com

    Bob Johnson, Apr 23, 2005
  8. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    I just got mine a week ago.

    Gee, ain't it great dealing with a mainline company whose integrity and
    workmanship are above reproach?

    tedB, Apr 23, 2005
  9. I think of this very thing oftern...most of America is unaware of this...and
    thus we are doomed to repeat it. We are billions in the hole in trade
    deficits to China, and they are using our money to buy arms for their
    county...and no one seems to know or care.

    Cathy De Viney, Apr 23, 2005
  10. You mean, if, in the future the HD dies, or I want a larger HD, I can't
    reinstall the OS from the CD that is created?

    Cathy De Viney, Apr 23, 2005
  11. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:10:03 -0500, wrote:

    Well, I got a quick automated answer from Dell informing me that my
    email was construed as my inability to burn a CD. <Groan>

    I have replied to their assinine "Support" system to see what they come
    up with next.

    Boy oh boy, am I glad I bought a "quality" product instead of getting
    stiffed by one of those "fly by nights" who foist off
    imported-from-China crap on their customers.

    tedB, Apr 23, 2005
  12. Tiffany

    Tiffany Guest

    If you call Microsoft they will give you a few extra activations to account
    for hardware changes. It may be inconvenient, but that's MS's way of dealing
    with Piracy of the Windows platform. Office also has the same activation
    scheme.

    Tiffany, Apr 23, 2005
  13. Tiffany

    Tiffany Guest

    It makes a full install CD. What needs do you have that this doesn't cover?

    Tiffany, Apr 23, 2005
  14. Tiffany

    Tiffany Guest

    From tha MS web site:

    " If you overhaul your computer by replacing a substantial number of
    hardware components, it may appear to be a different PC. You may have to
    reactivate Windows XP. If this should occur, you can call the telephone
    number displayed on the activation screen to reactivate the software. "

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx

    Tiffany, Apr 23, 2005
  15. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    It is becoming more and more obvious how MS/DELL have screwed all of us.
    Unfortunately, I don't intend to go nuts over a few more hundreds of
    dollars. I'll probably end up popping for the XP Pro disc from MS -
    which is exactly what MS wanted us to do. And I'm going to do it while
    they are still available before MS unveils its newest marvelous OS and
    stops producing XP Pro discs.

    From now on, I buy locally at a computer shop who sets up their own
    machines. That's the only avenue left to get away from this sort of
    crap. To me this isn't worth going nuts over. There are some things I
    have control over in this world, and some that I don't. Crooks like Dell
    and MS I have no control over. But I can see to it that Dell never gets
    another penny of my money. Unfortunately, I still am stuck with MS in
    the future if I need Windows, but I'm going to find an underhanded way
    of screwing them out of their money by buying at a local comp maker, if
    you know what I mean.

    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

    tedB, Apr 23, 2005
  16. Tiffany

    Laura Guest

    I got the CD for AOHell, Cyberlink PowerDVD, Sonic MyDVD and Word Perfect.
    This is a lot less than I have gotten in the past from Dell.

    Laura, Apr 23, 2005
  17. Tiffany

    Laura Guest

    The start menu entry on my machine is pointing to: C:\DELL\MEDIAEXE\ODM.EXE.

    Are you also missing the Dell Accessaries folder in the start menu? Have you
    been uninstalling the extra Dell bloatware?

    Laura, Apr 23, 2005
  18. Tiffany

    Laura Guest

    Correct. It is not an install CD but merely a Recover CD that accesses the
    real OS install info on the hidden partition. This is why I want an install
    CD. Under those circumstances a recovery CD is useless. And dealing with
    Dell when you suspect your hard drive is failing is another story for
    another day. But that being said it is because of my experience last summer
    that is prompting me to make sure that I have an XP OS disk in addition to a
    Recovery CD. They are NOT the same thing.

    Laura, Apr 23, 2005
  19. Tiffany

    Laura Guest

    That is not what I have been told. I have been told that it can only be used
    to REINSTALL the OS and can not be used to INSTALL XP on a blank Hard drive.
    It is a RECOVERY CD and not an XP OS CD.

    Laura, Apr 23, 2005
  20. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    This whole mess is going to come back and them in their financial butt.

    tedB, Apr 23, 2005