    Did you actually make a CD and look at the files, or are you just assuming
    that this is the case? The link I provided explicitly states that is is a "
    Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD".

    Tiffany, Apr 23, 2005

  2. Tiffany

    Laura Guest

    I did look at the CD. It appears to be an XP install disk but I won't be
    able to tell for sure until my actual CD arrives next week to do a full
    compare. I do know that several computer techs have told me that it will not
    work on a new hard drive because there is no XP on the hidden partition. It
    will only work to reinstall XP on the existing hard drive because the
    install process accesses the hidden partition. Plus when I commented to the
    Dell Tech support that my main objective was to be able to install XP on a
    replacement Hard drive in the future they did not try and tell me that the
    Recovery CD created by the utility would work. So for now I still believe
    that we are better off having the real XP OS CD. YMMV

    Laura, Apr 23, 2005

  3. What is the point of this disc, if it can't be installed on a replacement
    HD? If all you want to do is reinstall the OS to the HD that came with you
    computer, all you have to do is something like CTRL-F11 as you boot...to
    access the hidden partition on the current HD....you don't need a CD.

    Isn't this correct?

    Cathy De Viney, Apr 24, 2005
  4. Tiffany

    Laura Guest

    That's my exact point. The Recovery Disk that dell has you create is only
    good for the current hard drive. I have dealt with failed Dell hard drives
    before and know that you need a *real* OS disk.

    I have always used a recovery disk to reinstall the OS on an existing HD.
    Dell does instruct you to use the Recovery disk for this purpose. I have
    never seen them have you hit CTRL F11 while booting so I don't know if that
    would work on these machines.

    Laura, Apr 24, 2005
  5. Tiffany

    Wortenheimer Guest

    you folks need to cool your jets. i bought a dimension 3000 for my gfriend
    about a month ago. i wasn't happy when i saw there was no OS cd to be
    found. however, i contacted dell support via their chat interface and i
    received the OS cd shipment in three days. your mileage may vary, but
    that's my story.

    Wortenheimer, Apr 24, 2005
  6. Tiffany

    Laura Guest

    And where do either page say that the CDs created can be used on a new hard
    drive where the OS is not on a hidden partition?

    Laura, Apr 24, 2005
  7. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    I found all the SATA and other driver placed by Dell in

    C:\Drivers

    It contains 6 folders:
    Audio
    Modem
    Network
    Storage
    System
    Video

    That helps. Now to copy to a CD.

    tedB, Apr 24, 2005
  8. Tiffany

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, it calls it:

    one Microsoft® Windows® Operating system CD

    That sounds like a real OS CD to me.

    We need someone to try it!

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 24, 2005
  9. Tiffany

    User N Guest

    Well that reinstalls everything I believe, but the point still stands. If
    the OS CD you create can only reinstall on an original HD that has
    the restore partition, it would seem to be redundant.

    IIRC, one thing you can do with a real OS CD is boot it and perform
    repairs via the recovery console. Conceptually at least, I suppose the
    CD you create could have the unique purpose of allowing you to do
    that. But that seems like a stretch to me.

    Not having the means to restore the OS (and apps) from optical media
    to a new non-Dell HD is a rather serious issue if you ask me. I could
    see Dell providing a means to create said CDs rather than providing
    CDs, but I find it somewhat hard to believe that reinstall from created
    CDs would be contingent upon having a Dell HD & restore partition.
    If your HD failed you'd either have to acquire a new one from Dell,
    or acquire a new one from elsewhere *and* an OS. Knowledgeable
    users would be furious.

    User N, Apr 24, 2005
  10. Tiffany

    BigJIm Guest

    it boots like a copy of xp

    BigJIm, Apr 24, 2005
  11. Tiffany

    BigJIm Guest

    well it boots from cd but I have no use to install at this time/
    need someone with a dell sitting around with a clean hard drive to try it
    because if it is a real OS then you can install it on any dell system/

    BigJIm, Apr 24, 2005
  12. Boy, talk about a Hooplehead!!!

    <for any Deadwood fans>

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 24, 2005
  13. Mixed metaphor here, dude, an *email* in a *wastebasket*? Bit bucket,
    maybe, not not a wastebasket.

    Besides, that's irrelevant, they probably routinely toss any
    communication from people who appear illiterate or deranged.

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 24, 2005
  14. For Alienware prices, I would expect oral sex!

    :)

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 24, 2005
  15. IIRC you need to have the Resource CD first and when you put it in your
    CD drive you get the option to install the Dell Resource CD. That's how
    it worked with my Dim 8400 anyway.

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 24, 2005
  16. Tiffany

    WSZsr Guest

    Good. Some day we won't have to listen to your childish rants and raves!

    WSZsr, Apr 24, 2005
  17. Tiffany

    Bob Levine Guest

    Laura wrote:

    In the last month, I got two new Dells. A 4700 desktop with XP Home and
    an Inspiron 6000 with XP Pro. Both came with an printed piece with the
    CDs instructing me to create an XP install CD in case I ever needed to
    reinstall the O/S.

    The menu item didn't even exist on the Home machine. A couple of e-mails
    to Dell's tech support and two days later I had a CD.

    On the Pro machine the menu item was there. I put in a blank CD and it
    worked just fine to create an XP Pro install CD. Afterward the menu item
    was gone. So, be careful since you can only do this once.

    But I strongly encourage anyone who's having trouble to send a nicely
    worded e-mail to tech support. I got answers back in a matter of a
    couple of hours. I wouldn't aggrivate myself with a phone call.

    HTH,

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Apr 24, 2005
  18. Tiffany

    Bob Levine Guest

    Those Sonic CDs are different. Check them carefully.
    Skip the blistering part and try strongly worded but professional.
    Worked for me. I had a new XP CD in two days.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Apr 24, 2005
  19. Tiffany

    Bob Levine Guest

    It's missing on some of the XP Home installs. Send an e-mail to Dell
    Tech support. After a couple of back and forth e-mails, I had a new CD
    in two days.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Apr 24, 2005