    Bob Levine Guest

    Not true. It's a full MS XP install CD.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Apr 24, 2005

  2. Tiffany

    Bob Levine Guest

    So do I, but the CD created by the Dell is a full XP install CD. I made
    sure to pop it into a few computers to check. The XP install splash
    screen launched on all of them.

    Bog

    Bob Levine, Apr 24, 2005

  3. Tiffany

    Bob Levine Guest

    You have been given misinformation. The CD is fine.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Apr 24, 2005
  4. Tiffany

    Laura Guest

    Then why didn't Dell tech support correct me when I said that I would need a
    XP OS CD if I ever replaced my hard drive? If they had assured me that I
    could use my recovery CD then this thread would not have been started.

    Laura, Apr 24, 2005
  5. Tiffany

    Tom Scales Guest

    Bob,

    Thank you very much for clarifying this for us all. Now this thread can be
    put to rest, as anyone can make their own cd and be done with it.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 24, 2005
  6. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    could use my recovery CD then this thread would not have been started.

    This lengthy thread has been very useful to me. It enabled a newcomer to
    this group to see most of the hecklers and nasties indigenous to this
    group come out of their roach holes and be killfiled early on. : )

    tedB, Apr 24, 2005
  7. Tiffany

    tedB Guest

    In my Inbox today:
    --------------------------------------
    Dear XXXX

    Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support.

    Since the previous email agent is not available today, I am replying to
    your message so that we can solve your problem as quickly as possible.

    In order to diagnose the issue with Windows XP CD and the
    Drivers CD in most efficient manner, an order has been issued for
    replacing the CD's.
    ----------------------------------

    It would have saved them a lot of hassle if they had notified everyone
    of this situation before purchase and allowed the option of paying a
    bit extra for these items.

    I must say, despite my earlier anger and frustration, I am impressed
    with their expeditious handling of this affair. Competition for our
    dollar in the computer market must be fierce.

    tedB, Apr 24, 2005
  8. Tiffany

    Geordie Guest

    You've missed the point, Tom. You see, Dell is not providing thi
    utility to everyone. The Inspiron I received a couple of weeks ha
    neither the OS CD, nor a Recovery CD, nor a feature that would allow m
    to burn such a disc. The hidden system restore utility was the onl
    rescue option available.

    One email of complaint was ignored by Dell while another basically tol
    me that I was out of luck because Dell had stopped supplying the OS CD
    It took a half hour phone call to get any sense whatsoever out o
    support, though when I did get through to the right person the
    arranged the OS CD to be sent out pronto - in fact it arrived the nex
    day.

    I have to say that all the hassle ruined what should have been
    pleasurable experience for me personally, and for that reason alone,
    doubt whether I'll be purchasing another Dell in the foreseeabl
    future.

    Geordie

    Geordie, Apr 25, 2005
  9. Great - does this mean you'll stop posting here?

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 25, 2005
  10. Where do they say you can't?

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 25, 2005
  11. Great, so you won't see my post!

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 25, 2005
  12. You wanted an OS CD and you got one from Dell, so I'd have to say yes.

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 25, 2005
  13. Tiffany

    Bob Levine Guest

    Because regardless of what company it is, you'll usually get better tech
    support on the web than on the phone.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, Apr 25, 2005
  14. Tiffany

    Tom Scales Guest

    I believe that has been proven wrong

    Tom Scales, Apr 25, 2005
  15. Tiffany

    VH Guest

    Does your laptop have a CD writer?

    VH, Apr 26, 2005
  16. Tiffany

    chopper Guest

    From what I've read in here, you are quite an example of both!

    chopper, Apr 26, 2005
  17. Tiffany

    Geordie Guest

    Yes, it has a CD-writer, complete with burning software - just n
    option available anywhere that would allow me to burn the operatin
    system CD or a recovery CD. So Tom's theory we can all simply bur
    ourselves our own OS CD just doesn't apply in my case.

    Furthermore, if I hadn't phoned Dell and complained within the firs
    few days, I doubt whether I would have received this media at all - a
    least, not without having to pay extra for it.

    Geordie

    Geordie, Apr 26, 2005
  18. Tiffany

    S.Lewis Guest

    The two Dimensions I've seen recently (both had OS media, but also the
    restore image boot option) both had the option to create the disc under dell
    accessories.

    Glad you got your disc.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 26, 2005