    choke) or buying XP and doing a clean install.

    Obviously it needs more RAM, but what else should I consider before deciding
    which way to go?

    Brian Gotjunk, Mar 2, 2005

  2. Brian Gotjunk

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    what is the processor in this machine? If you are going to give it more
    memory, and XP ... might as well spend another couple bucks and get a more
    current processor.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Mar 2, 2005

  3. 1ghz

    Brian Gotjunk, Mar 2, 2005
  4. Brian Gotjunk

    S.Lewis Guest

    Oooooooookay. A retail copy of XP is going to cost at least $85. (
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604614 ). Max.
    RAM in that machine is 512mb (only 2 sockets). 512mb also being the 'sweet
    spot' for utilizing WinXP. The RAM upgrade is going to cost from $82 to
    $164 to get the machine to either 384mb or 512mb : http://tinyurl.com/uwgc

    So for $167 or $249 he winds up with 512mb of RAM and running WinXP.

    Whether or not the cost is worth it depends on what your friend plans to use
    the machine for. Obviously they've made it this far on 128mb, so if
    nothing's going to change in their habits, the machine could last a few
    years longer (email, internet, data entry).

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Mar 2, 2005
  5. Brian Gotjunk

    David Guest

    Before spending to upgrade (more than 128 of memory) I would get....
    Brand new Dell 2400 with:
    Celeron 2.4GHz
    FREE 15" E153FP LCD Panel
    512MB, 40GB Drive
    48x CD-RW, 10/100 Ethernet
    2-Year Warranty

    ONLY $349.0 Shipped!!!

    David, Mar 2, 2005
  6. Brian Gotjunk

    Busman Guest

    Do you have a link for this deal? Looks like $399 with 256MB and CD only
    when I look at their site. Thanks,
    Andy

    Busman, Mar 2, 2005
  7. Brian Gotjunk

    Hank Arnold Guest

    This is a no-brainer......... Get a new machine........................

    Hank Arnold, Mar 2, 2005
  8. OK, I will advise them to buy a new system.

    But I need to re-install ME on this machine - can I partition the drive (C &
    D) and use the restore cd to install ME to the C, or will the restore not
    allow the extra partition?

    Brian Gotjunk, Mar 2, 2005
  9. Brian Gotjunk

    Ben Myers Guest

    Probably the best way to handle a restore is to create and format only one
    partition, do the restore, then create and format the second partition. I'm not
    sure whether the Dell restore CD for ME is a restore or a real Windows ME CD.
    The latter would not care how you partition the drive, but the older
    manufacturer-packaged restore CDs can have their quirks... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 2, 2005
  10. Brian Gotjunk

    David Guest

    David, Mar 2, 2005
  11. Brian Gotjunk

    David Guest

    Should be a real ME cd.

    David, Mar 2, 2005
  12. Is there an open memory slot on the machine? I have an extra card (either 64
    or 128 - I can't remember - it's in my desk at work) that will fit that
    machine that I can't use - mine is maxed out at 512. If you want it, I'll
    send it to you.

    Kathleen Anderson, Mar 2, 2005
  13. Brian Gotjunk

    B G J Guest

    How much do you want for the ram?

    B G J, Mar 2, 2005
  14. Nothing. I can't use it. You can have it. :)

    Send me your snail mail address offline.

    Kathleen Anderson, Mar 3, 2005