Tomcat K8E (S2865) BIOS Flash 1.00 to 2.01

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by BC, Oct 2, 2005.

  1. BC

    BC Guest

    Recently purchased a Tomcat K8E (S2865) motherboard from Newegg; it
    came with BIOS version 1.00, and I needed to flash it to a newer version
    in order to activate Cool n Quiet, and take full advantage of the ECC
    RAM installed.

    I tried a direct flash from 1.00 to 2.01, and, it didn't work. Flash
    routine would hang, and not finish.

    So, I tried flashing the three updated BIOS versions sequentially, and
    this worked fine.

    1.00 to 1.01, to 2.00, to 2.01.

    Notes: buried in the documentation in the Tyan website is the
    suggestion to unplug any USB devices during the BIOS flash.

    Flash program is apparently touchy about having any TSR programs loaded
    along with DOS, so I made a Win98 boot floppy, then erased all files on
    it except for

    COMMAND.COM
    MSDOS.SYS

    and
    IO.SYS

    Also, clearing the CMOS after every BIOS flash also helps--not sure why,
    but completely unplugging the power supply, then leaving the "Clear
    CMOS" jumper in the 'clear' position for about 5-10 minutes is required
    to fully clear the CMOS settings.

    Overall, a great motherboard...very stable, solidly built, I expect it
    will last a long time.

    Link to BIOS upgrade page:

    http://www.tyan.com/support/html/b_s2865.html

    BC, Oct 2, 2005