Too high (and too LOW) thermal resistances???

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Da Loaf, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Da Loaf

    Da Loaf Guest

    Hi all,

    Question for the experts. In one of my machines, I have an AMD Athlon
    XP (Palomino) 2000+ CPU, Gigabyte GA-7VAXP, with a Thermaltake Volcano
    7+ (yeah, the really loud one). In another machine that I just built,
    I used an AMD Athlon XP (T-Bird) 1800+, Biostar M7VIG Pro, with a
    Speeze Model 5F263B1M3 (full aluminum). Here's the question:

    In the 2000+ machine, Sandra reports the thermal resistance to be
    0.09C/W (65W) - which by my experience, is WAY to low. System idle is
    50C - loaded is 56C. (Prime95)

    In the 1800+ machine, Sandra reports the thermal resistance to be
    0.87C/W (37W) - which by my experience, is WAY to high, however, the
    system idle is at 40C and fully loaded, 44C. (Prime95)

    To me, this seems like it should be the other way around, but it's
    not...

    Is Sandra inaccurate on this, or could these be actual results?

    Anyone got any light to shed on this??

    On both occations, I used OCZ Ultra 2.

    Thanks in adavnce!

    Da Loaf, Aug 5, 2003