Tools to view the C code ?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Michael, Sep 23, 2006.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Michael, Sep 23, 2006

  2. You'll have to re-explain what it is you're trying to do. C generally
    doesn't come in diagrams, so there wouldn't be anything to "view".
    What this takes is to parse existing C, and *turn* it into diagrams.
    And that's where the really tough question would come up: *what type*
    of diagrams? You could be thinking of Nassi-Shneiderman structograms,
    some kind of SA/SD design diagrams, or even UML, for goodness' sake!

    Hans-Bernhard Broeker, Sep 23, 2006

  3. Michael

    David Ashley Guest

    Maybe he's talking about ctree or calltree or something like that.
    Or ctags which show where something is defined.

    -Dave

    David Ashley, Sep 23, 2006
  4. Michael

    dunkin Guest

    PPT120.ZIP - old, dos based, won't work on computers faster than 230mhz
    Pentium I,
    but its free and does good job with analyzing C. Its on the web somewhere
    I'm sure.

    dunkin, Sep 23, 2006
  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Yes you are right. I meant UML type diagrams. Although UML is mainly
    intended for object oriented languages.
    We currently use Sense because it's nice and fast. But I want to try
    out some other free tools.

    Michael, Sep 24, 2006
  6. Not quite. UML is meant to be used for object-oriented analysis and
    design. It doesn't matter all that much whether the implementation is
    done in an OO language.

    Turning this around, it means that if the program under study, like
    the vast majority of embedded C code, was designed with no regard
    whatsoever to OO patterns and styles, odds that reverse-UML-ing it
    would produce a useful view of the program are slim.

    C code tends to be either hacked together without any design to speak
    of, or designed along the structured analysis/structured design
    (SA/SD) paradigm. OO designs can generally be implemented in C, but
    most C doesn't come from such roots.

    Hans-Bernhard Broeker, Sep 24, 2006
  7. Michael

    Dan Henry Guest