Torisan DVD Drive & I7k problem

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Louie, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. Louie

    Louie Guest

    Hello all,

    Having a problem with Torisan DVD-ROM DRD-U424 on my I7000. It shows up in
    Device Manager as a DVD-ROM, but in My Computer it shows as a CD-ROM drive.
    (WinXP Pro SP1). Tried finding drivers on the 'net but no joy.

    System:

    Inspiron 7000 A333GT BIOS Rev. A15
    PII 333MHz
    320MB RAM (Crucial)
    40GB HD (Seagate)
    ATI Rage Pro Graphics card

    The drive detects CD's and mounts them correctly but DVD's (even commercial
    pre-recorded) just won't play. Can someone tell me what I'm missing here,
    please? <g>

    Louie
    Chiefland, FL, USA

    Louie, Mar 7, 2005

  2. Louie

    Tom Scales Guest

    The drivers are not your problem. Device manager doesn't care. CD, DVD,
    all the same.

    If it won't play DVDs, then it is likely toast. The CD and DVD lasers are
    separate. One can work, while the other doesn't.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 7, 2005

  3. Louie

    Louie Guest

    Appreciate the reply, Tom. That's what I was afraid of. Will be contacting
    vendor for replacement.

    Louie
    Chiefland, FL, USA

    Louie, Mar 7, 2005