Toshiba annoyance

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Robert Singer, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. I am a Network admin for departmant at Temple University
    who has just purchased two new Toshiba 3500s. The problem
    is this: We have a managed enviroment where the users
    can't even see their C: drive. The Tablets are portable
    and I need to provide my Tablet users with a place to
    save data when they aren't connected to the network.
    Normally, I'd just build the systems with an additional
    partition where they could save data. If anything
    catastrophic happened, I could reimage the system and not
    have to worry about data recovery.

    Unfortunately, Toshiba only ships their systems with a
    restore cd which has only a single partition. Tech
    support at Toshiba told me that due to a deal with
    Microsoft, they do not include or offer an OEM copy of
    the OS to end users.

    I searched the internet and found that no one apparently
    sells an OEM version either. And, is it not offered with
    our university site license program.

    I was however able to download a copy from the MSDN site.
    (My department has an MSDN Universal license.) My
    question is this: Since we have a license for the Windows
    XP Tablet Ed. which came with the Toshiba, is it okay for
    me to rebuild the system using the copy that I downloaded
    from MSDN? Can I use the key on the system tag with this
    version? Is there any mechanism in place to remedy this
    situation?

    Frankly, I think the whole practice of including
    a 'restore' disk instead of a fully installable version
    of an operating system a reprehensible act. I've seen too
    many instances where users use restore disks despite the
    warnings, without the really understanding the
    repercussions.

    Robert Singer, Jul 1, 2003

  2. Robert Singer

    John Guest

    Couldn't answer the legality of your question using the MSDN one. You
    would assume so - after all, it's the license in question, not the
    source CD. Many places when you purchase software you can purchase
    the license for it, and not receive the media. You could post it on
    the MSDN group for Andy Boyd or someone else from MS to answer, but I
    would assume that it would be a legitimate install from a legal
    standpoint. I did the same on mine, but since my tablet is used for
    development and testing, and isn't even a member of my domain, it
    still falls under MSDN anyway.

    Your solution works great - it's exactly what I do, though not for the
    same "can't access C drive" reason that you're looking at for the
    tablet end users. I just like having my data on the D drive so I can
    redump a ghost image when my testing blows something up. One other
    option, though, would be to use something like partition magic. That
    would allow you to create a data partition if you wanted.
    Alternatively, another good option that has nothing at all to do with
    the drive would be a USB flash drive. I have a 512MB one and I
    absolutely love it. Then you'd not only save yourself the trouble of
    having to build the notebooks, you'd give them a great solution for
    portability of their files.

    I picked up my 512MB (usb 2.0 as well, not just 1.1) for about $120.
    Well worth it.

    John

    John, Jul 2, 2003

  3. Robert Singer

    ProperMCSE Guest

    I agree that sucks about the partition.

    Another option would be set up a share on a networked Windows 2000 or
    XP Desktop or Server. Set up the folder for offline access and
    synchronization and redirect their my documents to this share. That
    way their files are avaialble offline, and when they log back to the
    network their files will be synched. The advantage to this is you only
    have to wrry about backing up the Server.

    ProperMCSE, Jul 2, 2003
  4. Robert Singer

    D.Currie Guest

    A lot of companies are going with the restore CDs or hidden partitions, and
    it's a pain. You could always shop around for a tablet that includes a
    better restore option.

    If you really need space on the tablet, Partition Magic might be a good
    choice, then ghost the drives that way, in case you ever have to reinstall.

    Your OEM keys won't work with the MSDN version of the software. And it
    probably violates something in the MSDN agreement.

    D.Currie, Jul 2, 2003