Toshiba L35-S2174 - is this a good computer? a good deal?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Peabody, Dec 4, 2006.

  1. Peabody

    Peabody Guest

    Best Buy has this for sale for three days, or as long as they last,
    for $399, and you don't even have to mess with rebates.

    Here's the link:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8132914&type=product&id
    =1158321661486

    I've never used a laptop before, so I don't know if this is any good
    or not. I basically want the laptop for web surfing, email,
    reading newsgroups, and video chat, but all the heavy-duty stuff will
    continue to be done on my desktop. The whole point of getting the
    laptop is mobility, so the wireless has to work well.

    The ad says it's Vista capable (it comes with MCE), but I don't
    really care about that.

    So to those of you who know about laptops, my question is whether
    this looks like a good deal, and also whether I'm likely to find a
    better deal in the near future for one of these "dead-end" laptops (I
    mean one that as a practical matter you probably wouldn't be able to
    upgrade to Vista).

    Any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.

    Peabody, Dec 4, 2006

  2. Peabody

    waterboy Guest

    if this is the Toshiba L35-S2174,
    it looks reasonable for $399

    it will feel slow...compared to your desktop,
    but price is ok

    my preference would be 1gb ram...not for $399 though

    waterboy

    waterboy, Dec 4, 2006

  3. It's very low end. While this model less expensive in absolute terms,
    an M115 or an A105 (but not a model of either with a Celeron processor)
    is a better value. M115's have been available for $599 in some pretty
    decent configurations with Core Duo processors and DVD burners.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 4, 2006