toshiba laptop music slows down by half

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by pid, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. pid

    pid Guest

    Dear all,
    I need some advice on this. I have a Toshiba Tecra 1.5 GHz, 512 Mb.
    Recently the sound/music is playing up in that:
    1) with the fist boot up, every bit of sound/music slows down by half.
    Kylie Minogue sounds like Frank Sinatra.
    2) But with a reboot, the sound playback speed returns to normal!

    However, this happy state of things didn't last. Now the sound/music
    just stays half speed. I have tried the following:

    1) scan for virus. Done it three times in a day. Nothing found.
    2) scan for spyware. found some cookies. removed them. still no go.
    3) removed/inactivated more labour intensive software e.g. Flash MX,
    Norton anti-virus, Zone alarm. still no go.
    4) defragmented the harddrive twice. no go.

    I have contacted the toshiba people who were less than helpful. Can
    anyone please help?

    regards, Bernard

    pid, Feb 11, 2004

  2. pid

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Tosh support probably won't be of much help as, as far as they're concerned,
    it's probably software-related. (i.e. user error)

    Does this occur with mp3s, wave files, CDs or everything? If it's mp3s then
    I would suggest reinstalling your mp3 playing software or trying a different
    player.

    BTW, what has this got to do with overclocking?

    ~misfit~, Feb 11, 2004

  3. pid

    raj Guest

    try installing soud drivers? if none works amybe have to reinstall OS!?

    raj, Feb 11, 2004
  4. pid

    wm Guest

    Weird. Probably a bad sound card. My Toshiba Satellite had a shitty
    sound system too. It would always make a horrible screeching sound
    while I played mp3s or mpeg video. Never did get it fixed. I wouldn't
    be surprised if there was an overall problem with the sound hardware in
    Toshiba laptops.
    Lucky. That never worked for me.
    The phone support is absolutely no help. They are all morons. I used
    to get help on a forum run by Toshiba techies:
    http://forums.compuserve.com/vlforums/default.asp?SRV=Toshiba&loc=us
    I think the people there might be the "higher level" techies because
    they can actually answer some questions.
    ~wm

    wm, Feb 12, 2004
  5. pid

    pid Guest

    Hi Misfit, thanks for the advice. Yes, this problem occurs with
    everything, cd, mp3, wav files. I have tried re-installing windows
    media player and winamp but with no happy outcome. Any other advice?
    (you are right , this has nothing to do with overclocking, only that I
    am desperate for any kind of help :(
    Bernard

    pid, Feb 13, 2004
  6. pid

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Can you reinstall the audio 'card' drivers Bernard? Or look on Tosh's
    website for updated drivers. That would be my next step.

    ~misfit~, Feb 13, 2004