Toshiba Portage 7010CT - problem with charging the battery

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by toomyem, Oct 13, 2005.

  1. toomyem

    toomyem Guest

    Hi All,

    I have recently purchased used Toshiba Portage 7010CT. And I have a
    problem with a battery.

    When the power cable is plugged, then amber led indicates that battery
    is being charged. But before it gets full, the led turns off and laptop
    stops seeing the battery. Win XP says that there is no battery at all
    and when I unplug power, the laptop immediately goes off.

    But... when (while power cable is still plugged in) I remove battery
    for a few seconds and then install it back, the charging process
    resumes and I can plug off the power cable and I can work for a couple
    of minutes.

    Unfortunealy after a few minutes of charging the story repeats. Amber
    led goes off, charging stops and laptop stops seeing the battery. And
    again, removing and reinstalling it helps for a few minutes.

    What do you think about it? Is it a battery problem or a charger inside
    the laptop? Battery of course isn't new.

    Regards,
    tomekM

    toomyem, Oct 13, 2005

  2. I just got a Toshiba Portege 7220CTe a couple days ago, and I have the
    exact same problem with the Hi-Cap battery that came with it (5000mAh).

    It'll charge, charge, charge all the way up to %60, then the laptop
    seems to almost "unplug" the battery while it's still there. The
    charging light turns from amber to nothing, and windows doesn't see the
    battery at all.

    And when I unplug the AC with the battery in this state, the laptop
    remains powered through the battery, and windows thinks its still on AC
    power!

    The weird thing is it didn't always do this, the first two days it
    charged up to %100 and had no problems, it just started doing this
    yesterday.

    Any Ideas?

    anthony.goncharov, Oct 21, 2005

  3. toomyem

    tomekM Guest

    In my case, after unplugging AC the laptop immadiately goes down.

    I haven't solved this problem so far. :(

    tomekM

    tomekM, Oct 25, 2005
  4. I think it might be the battery, the problem is getting worse, now it
    only charges to 36%, and it doesn't do this with my other battery,
    however, the other battery only lasts for 30 min by itself anyways. I'm
    going to experiment some more before I decide to spend $100 on a new
    one.

    -Anthony

    anthony.goncharov, Oct 26, 2005