    Toshiba applications when I reformat my computer.

    Thank you very much for your time and help.
    Stu

    Stu, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Stu

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    How did you even get that far? How are you booting? What are you booting?
    You have to have something bootable.

    Does anyone know if the 3500 supports bootable CDs on a USB CD drive?
    I believe that the Toshiba recovery CD forces all that stuff in in one swell
    foop with no way to do all that stuff stepwise.

    In such a case it would be nice to install the clean Windows XP Tablet PC
    Edition and then one by one add other things to find the offending piece of
    code. BUT MS in all their vast wisdom has decided to deny us all such a
    powerful debugging capability by making UNAVAILABLE a Windows XP Tablet PC
    Edition install CD. I wonder why?

    Ron Reaugh, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Ron,

    We all agree with you, but the main reason for this decision from what I was
    told was back when OEM's offered full versions of MS OS's, consumers and
    companies alike had a tendency to use those CD's to load on other machines.
    Recovery CD's and Recovery Partitions are much harder to pirate. You could
    attempt to make your own CD by using the i386 folder and extracting the
    other files needed, it would be tough but possible.

    Jeffrey W. Roach, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Stu,

    Why on earth are you using a USB CD-ROM drive when the 3505 comes bundled
    with a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive? The PCMCIA CD-ROM drive is supported by the BIOS
    so it can be used to boot the tablet. Make sure you use the PCMCIA adaptor
    and NOT the Cardbus one.

    The only Toshiba utility that gave me any problems was the System Stability
    program. It made IE go incredibly slow at times.

    Charles Pickrell

    Charles Pickrell, Nov 24, 2003
  5. Stu

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    machines.

    SO...with XP there is now the activation process.
    So screw the customer and themselves in the process....MS has generally not
    been that stupid in the past. XP install CDs come with most other XP
    desktops and portables/laptops. Why screw up their top end portable tablet
    customers with such a wacko move?
    Or make a vocal enough stink about it and get things changed. Come on folks
    why don't we all get onboard such an initiative.

    Ron Reaugh, Nov 24, 2003
  6. Stu

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Actually no it's wasn't bundled with the 3500. It was included free if one
    ordered directly from Toshiba but generally wasn't there otherwise.
    There was also available from the Toshiba a floppy....wasn't it USB and
    bootable?
    Stability

    Which program is that exactly?

    Ron Reaugh, Nov 24, 2003
  7. I deploy about 400 new computers a year, from IBM, Panasonic, HP and Toshiba
    and an Acer (Toshiba and Acer are tablets the rest are Laptops and
    Desktops). All of them come with either a recovery CD or a Recovery
    Partition (all of the IBM's come this way), none have come with a regular
    copy of the OS, its been like that for at least 4 years.

    Jeffrey W. Roach, Nov 24, 2003
  8. Stu

    Steve Arbini Guest

    No, you cannot boot from usb cdrom. You just can boot from
    pcmcia cdrom OR if you want to use the usb cdrom, you must
    plug the usb floppy drive in the other usb too. You have
    to boot from floppy with boot-floppy disk which created
    from recovery cd.

    Thanks.

    Steve Arbini, Nov 24, 2003
  9. Stu

    JDTHREE Guest

    There were actually two USB CD's that people were able to get the
    Toshiba 3500 to boot from. One was a type of Sony, the other was
    something from Lite-On IIRC. I had a thread going here about 10
    months ago when I was trying to determine a replacement for my
    non-booting USB CDRW/DVD drive, but then decided it wasn't worth the
    extra effort, since I already had a USB floppy and was working around
    the bootable CD problem that way.

    Other than those two specific CD drives, though, I hadn't heard of any
    others that worked with the USB for booting. Otherwise we're stuck
    with the PCMCIA ones.

    John

    JDTHREE, Nov 24, 2003
  10. Ron,

    Please read my comment below.

    There were two models of the 3500 series Tablets from Toshiba. One is the
    3500 and the other is the 3505. The 3505 came with a CD-ROM drive. I know
    because I bought a 3505 at Best Buy and it has a CD-ROM drive.
    A USB floppy is different than a USB CD-ROM drive. Floppies and CD-ROM
    drives do NOT use the same drivers.
    Sorry Ron, I've removed it and I don't know the exact name of the EXE. It
    should be pretty easy to determine it's name from the Task Manager processes
    tab.

    Charles

    Charles Pickrell, Nov 24, 2003
  11. Stu

    ll Guest

    I have performed a clean install of XP Tablet Edition on both the 3500 and
    3505 using MSDN copy.

    (1) CD drive itself does not support EL Torito (bootbility). The one that
    originally came with it does NOT. I had to get one shipped.

    (2) The utility that allows you to switch from latop mode to tablet mode
    caused 100% utilization therefore I removed it. I manually change the mode
    myself without relying on this tool (forgot name of it) - you are still
    able to change mode, just not automatically.

    (3) Other modes I have used to install Tablet PC is via RIS - just follow
    the Corporate deployment guide for XP Tablet PC.

    I was glad I installed it myself- so much faster and performs so much
    better - I hate vendor installed crap apps. Good Luck!

    ll, Nov 24, 2003
  12. Stu

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Where's our XP install CDs??

    Ron Reaugh, Nov 25, 2003
  13. Stu

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Did you ever identify the specific issue that was different from a bootable
    vs non-bootable USB CD drive? Was it the CD-drive model itself or possibly
    the 3rd party USB-ATA CD interface inside the external CD box??

    Ron Reaugh, Nov 25, 2003
  14. Stu

    JDTHREE Guest

    Nope, since Toshiba's support was pretty random about the issue - some
    of the support techs I talked to said the 3500 series tablet *was* usb
    bootable with a CD, others said it wasn't regardless of drive used,
    etc... The two models I had listed were ones posted by other users
    who had verified that they could boot from them.

    Fun fun fun. I love my Toshiba tablet, and haven't had any problems
    like some people have in the year I've had it, but I wish that there
    was "real" USB cd boot support. One of the drives I tried with it
    that wouldn't boot booted fine from another computer that supports USB
    CD booting, so I know it wasn't the drive...

    Hopefully the gen2 tablets from everyone do a better job with this.

    John

    JDTHREE, Nov 25, 2003
  15. Stu

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Telling only half the truth and excluding the important truth is little
    different than a lie.

    The lack of an OS install CD by many prebuilt suppliers is a troubling
    pattern that apparently started with XP as is exemplified by the above list
    of prebuilt suppliers..none of whom I'd now recommend. I was unaware of it
    as mostly I deal with clones. In some cases like HP it's even worse and
    there's no recovery CD but only a recovery partition on the SAME HD. HP
    forces one to BUY a recovery kit on HD failure.

    HOWEVER competitive pressures and I suspect customer requests have caused
    Dell and Gateway to start supplying OS install CDs as it should be. I will
    make a point to warn folks about this issue in the future and point them
    towards systems supplied with an OS install CD.

    Now does Dell have a tablet yet?

    Does the Gateway tablet come with an OS install CD(Gateway's other systems
    do)?

    To explore this issue I started two dual posted threads in other NGs and
    they provide some interesting reading:

    Subject: XP Install CD??
    alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp
    November 24, 2003 5:23 PM

    Subject: Windows XP Install CD??
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.gener
    al
    November 24, 2003 5:34 PM

    Ron Reaugh, Nov 25, 2003
  16. Stu

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Now I'm hearing it started with ME.

    Ron Reaugh, Nov 25, 2003
  17. Stu

    terri Guest

    You might start by checking the pricing differences between OEM and
    full/upgrade versions. I'm pretty sure the ratio is close on volume
    licensing as well. Manufacturers are saving money any way they can. The
    cost of Microsoft support is not included in an OEM version, so my guess is
    that it becomes cost-effective for those manufactures to use the "recovery
    CDs" - first in purchasing, then in support costs

    terri, Nov 25, 2003
  18. Stu

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    All true. Also someone in one of the threads on this subject pointed out
    that customer support is less complicated and therefore less expensive if
    the customer has no OS install capability. HOWEVER no one is telling the
    customer what has been lost and what they can no longer do. Dell and
    Gateway would be well advised to play up the fact that they deliver install
    CDs.

    Maybe the customer should be offered an option of MS's full retail OS with
    no mfg tech support but only MS tech support. That might be an attractive
    option to many.

    Ron Reaugh, Nov 26, 2003
  19. Stu

    Chris H. Guest

    I had a Compaq laptop which came with Windows 98SE on a "repair and restore"
    CD. This has been happening a lot longer than you're aware, and it
    definitely isn't something just with the Tablet PC. Have you contacted the
    manufacturers to voice your opinion with them? It would seem you're
    preaching to the choir here.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Nov 26, 2003
  20. Stu

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Fine but did it also NOT come with a W98se install CD? I suspect that it
    did come with such an install CD.
    Read the whole thread and catch up.

    Ron Reaugh, Nov 26, 2003