    Any ideas, experiences in this field? Or about this Tablet model in the specified area?
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your thoughts
    Romas

    Romas, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Romas

    terri Guest

    Hi, Romas,

    Although I really like the Toshiba Portege M200, if you want a bigger
    screen, you might want to take a look at the Acers. Acer has a couple of
    14" machines - one is a convertible and the other is a notebook, but has the
    Tablet PC Edition. I don't think the latter would be great for someone
    who's planning on using the handwriting all the time, but for editing, etc.,
    it might fit the bill. It's also a bit less expensive than the convertible.

    The M200 is the only Tablet PC that has the higher resolution.

    Another thing to think about is if you'd ever use it outside or in bright
    lighting. If so, take a look at Motion's new model with the indoor/outdoor
    display or the Fujitsu. Although both are slate models, keyboards are
    easily used with them.

    --
    Terri Stratton
    Microsoft Windows MVP / Tablet PC

    Gartners researches and increase the part of those "mobile warriors".
    development (Visual Studio .Net, SQL, BizTalk mainly), developer trainings
    as an MCT and of course part of the time doing the paperwork when trying to
    convince managers that integration using BizTalk is much less pain in the
    .... budget ;)
    home. The last one I use mainly as the test ground for the upcomming
    projects, MCT preps, browsing the news (like now) etc. and the work PC is
    mainly for implementing evening thoughts into something real, but both
    machines have the same stuff inside: VS.Net, SQL, BizTalk, Office ... so I
    thought of some consolidation.
    thought maybe some Tablet such as Protege M200 could fit the needs ...
    except that maybe the screen is a little bit small for development tools
    without secondary display. For some time I was working with VS.Net on a
    laptop with 14" XGA and well ... after some time it was OK ;)

    terri, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Romas

    Romas Guest

    Hi Terri,

    I have also thought about Acers and I had the question that comes is kind of "to be or not to be": the 14" at XGA or 12" at SXGA ;) Generaly the second one should fit more content (code for example)- what I like, but smaller size - what I can start to hate after some time. But for now reading the small stuff seems to be OK.
    The outdoor is not a poblem in my case ... I am more like an office rat and don't like very bright sun :)

    Thanks for your comment,
    Romas

    ----- terri wrote: -----

    Hi, Romas,

    Although I really like the Toshiba Portege M200, if you want a bigger
    screen, you might want to take a look at the Acers. Acer has a couple of
    14" machines - one is a convertible and the other is a notebook, but has the
    Tablet PC Edition.
    <...>

    Romas, Jan 13, 2004
  4. I'm also a software developer and I have bought Toshiba M200 recently.
    I'm very impressed how fast it is. And in my configuration it is actually
    faster than my dev machine at work. I have 1.7GHz CPU, 1GB memory, 60GB
    7200RPM HDD. I also disabled swap file and optimized Windows performance to
    use more memory for disk cache.
    The screen size and resolution were (and remain) my major concerns.
    IMHO 1400x1050 is way too small for 12" display. And using emulated (read
    stretched) 1024x768 does not make sense (way too fuzzy).
    What I'm doing is using native 1400x1050 resolution and I've configure
    Windows to use 144 dpi (in Advanced display properties). It does the trick
    for most applications (like MS Office and VS.NET), but some don't handle
    custom DPI setting very well (buttons don't fit into dialog etc). Also
    browsing some WEB sites could be difficult.
    In Toshiba's defense they provide Zoom utility that works in IE and some
    other applications. And also higher resolution is great for handwritten
    notes and sketches (which is why I need a Tablet).
    I would absolutely love this machine if native screen resolution were
    1024x768. But since I cannot find another Tablet PC as fast as this one I
    have to live with it.

    - Dmitry

    Dmitry Kakurin, Jan 13, 2004
  5. The Acer is a nice machine but its heavy, so if you plan on carrying it
    around for long periods of time you need to keep that in mind.

    Linda A. Epstein
    Microsoft MVP ~ Windows XP/Tablet PC
    Editor: www.TabletPc2.com

    Linda A. Epstein ~ MS MVP, Jan 14, 2004
  6. Romas

    terri Guest

    Interesting observation since there have been many who have felt that
    1024x768 isn't a high enough resolution for the 12" models. Just proves
    once again that a Tablet PC purchase and features are personal choices and
    one size definitely doesn't fit all.

    terri, Jan 14, 2004
  7. I agree (that's why I've added IMHO).
    Actually I'm curious to find out what do other M200 users think ?
    Do you think that 1400x1050 is just fine for 12" screen ? Are you OK with
    WEB sites like http://www.sprintpcs.com where Zoom does not work ? How about
    Remote Desktop sessions to other computers ?
    Or do you use it in 1024x768 mode ?

    Since I use computer a lot I'm very concerned about my eyes well-being.
    Honestly at first I was so disappointed that I felt like returning the
    machine. Then (after playing with DPI etc) I've kind of convinced myself
    that it is OK. But still I feel like I'm cheating and that my vision could
    be affected by this.

    - Dmitry

    Dmitry Kakurin, Jan 14, 2004
  8. I have a 1.5G, 1GMemory M200 that I use to develop all the time. When I
    am at home I hook up an external monitor for the extra screen space. I
    develop using VS.Net 2003 and use Microsoft's Virtual PC to run certain
    applications that I do not want to put on my tablet (or in the case of
    SharePoint V2 that cannot run on my tablet).
    Granted there are some help files that can be hard to read at 1400x1050
    on a 12" screen but not many.
    As a comparison, my company provides 1.7G PentiumM, 1G RAM, Compaq Evo
    N620C machines that have the same resolution but a 14" screen.
    All in all, I am quite happy with my Tablet as a development machine

    --

    Gary A. Bushey
    SPS MVP

    Gary A. Bushey, Jan 14, 2004
  9. Romas

    Aude Guest

    I am also working in development using sql, soap web servces, .net connections..between programs. Do you know if I should get into problem with the MS Windows tablet PC OS ?

    Aude, Mar 7, 2004
  10. You should not have any problems

    --

    Gary A. Bushey