    negative.

    Thanks

    Peter

    Peter, Nov 7, 2004

  2. Peter

    Sky High Guest

    Hi Peter,
    I've just bought one and the screen is extremely sharp, and the speakers
    even better than the last Toshiba Satellite I had - truly superb. There's
    not a lot you can't do with it. I can plug in my camcorder into the AV-IN
    socket and watch on the laptop screen; I can plug the SCART connector from
    computer > TV and watch DIVX's. It's also got firewire.

    I'm trying to think of a negative, but it's tricky. Probably the price ? And
    the battery life - it gobbles battery like a mother hen gobbles chicken
    feed. I think I get around 2 hours max on the low power setting. But hey, I
    wanted something with some grunt in it, and it does the job there. :)

    Any more questions, feel free to fire away.

    Paul

    Sky High, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Is there a version of this that is NOT videocentric? I mean, can you cut
    $500 or more out of the price by getting just the real computer parts?
    Also, how does the screen compare witht he Sony Ultrabright (or whatever
    it's called)?

    Troy Donnywho, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Peter

    Dan Koren Guest

    1) The screen has extremely low
    resolution for its size; only
    1440 x 900 in 17"!

    2) Too big, too heavy, too short
    battery life.

    3) Toshiba reliability has been
    rather poor historically.

    4) Toshiba support is practically
    non-existent.

    5) Comes with XP Home pre-loaded.

    I wouldn't accept one as a present.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Nov 8, 2004
  5. Peter

    Sky High Guest

    Dan,
    Are you talking about a 17" Qosmio ?
    I've got a 15.4" screen, and it's fine at 1024*768.

    Who needs a higher resolution on a 15.4" screen unless you're a CAD designer
    ?
    The 17" version isn't available in the UK yet.

    It's got a 80Gb HDD too. It's around £1500 UKP at the moment. Check it out
    on it's website (www.qosmio.co.uk).

    If you wouldn't accept one as a present, you must be a loon.

    Paul

    Sky High, Nov 8, 2004
  6. Peter

    Dan Koren Guest

    It is a waste of 15" of screen to have only XGA resolution.

    These days we can get XGA on 10"-13" screens, SXGA+ on 13"-
    15", and UXGA on 15"-16".

    Many applications besides CAD. E.g. high quality
    electronic publishing, video editiong, stock
    trading, etc...

    Sorry, but I cannot tell where you are located.
    All my newsreader shows is "Sky High". I thought
    you were probably in Nepal ;-)

    5400rpm. Too slow.

    I have had enough Tosh laptops in my hands from
    various employers and I have only had negative
    experiences. BTW I'm currently using a Fujitsu
    Celsius H with a 15" UXGA screen and 3 HDD's as
    my desktop replacement.

    Remember the mantra: Panasonic, Fujitsu, IBM.

    dk

    Dan Koren, Nov 8, 2004
  7. Peter

    Sky High Guest

    Mantra my butt, Toshiba is near the top of the list for sure. I've never
    really had a problem with them other than when I dropped one by accident.
    ;-) Let's face it - the new Qosmio screen makes the Sony ones pale into
    insignificance.

    Sony are just a dying breed due to their big-company contempt philosophy..

    Sky High, Nov 8, 2004
  8. Peter

    Dan Koren Guest

    Did anyone say Sony?

    dk

    Dan Koren, Nov 9, 2004
  9. Peter

    Sky High Guest

    Nope, they didn't, I just thought I would ;-)

    Sky High, Nov 9, 2004