    Some urgency!
    Thanks.
    Dave.

    dave, Jul 30, 2005

  2. dave

    Quaoar Guest

    Did you remove the connector from the original drive and install it on
    the new drive?

    Quaoar, Jul 30, 2005

  3. dave

    dave Guest

    Hello,
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean connector, i never saw
    the original drive, this drive didn't have one, and i had to order a drive
    bay cover which i do have, but if there's a connector or adaptor that goes
    on the end of the 2.5 inch drive inside to hook it in to the laptop i don't
    have one, any idea where i can get one?
    Thanks.
    Dave.

    dave, Jul 30, 2005
  4. I don't know of any laptop by any vendor that uses a proprietary hard
    drive. They are all industry-standard 2.5" IDE drives. The only
    differences that limit interchangeability are in the thickness.

    You may be looking at a drive in a caddy (e.g. you may be looking really
    at the caddy rather than at the bare drive). To change the drive you
    have to remove it from the caddy and move the caddy to the new drive.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 31, 2005
  5. Many (most, probably) laptops install the drive into a "caddy" (a
    container and connector, the container may be plastic or (usually)
    metal), and the connector in the computer mates with the connector on
    the caddy (sometimes, the bare drive connector is exposed and used
    through an opening in the caddy). I suspect that you do not have all of
    the "pieces" for your drive installation. They can be VERY difficult to
    get, sometimes, or very expensive (it may cost more for that than for
    the drive itself). Sometimes, you can "improvise" a way to install the
    drive without it, if the caddy has no electrical connectors that go
    between the drive and the computer. E-Bay is your best hope. Sometimes
    the best way is to buy a dead laptop of the same model.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 31, 2005
  6. dave

    dave Guest

    Hi,
    If that's what an idc socket is for then yes this drive came in an
    enclosure. If anyone has this model can they confirm that?
    Thanks.
    Dave.

    dave, Jul 31, 2005
  7. IDC = insulation displacement connector. This is a type of connector
    that works by piercing the insulation on the cable to which the
    connector is applied. It is not a specific application, number of pins
    or mechanical configuration, and is not, I don't think, what you meant.

    I think you meant "IDE" - "Integrated Drive Electronics", technically,
    but in practice, a disk drive connector (although 3.5" and 2.5" drives,
    while both IDE, use different connectors).

    Barry Watzman, Aug 1, 2005
  8. dave

    dave Guest

    Hello,
    My thanks to everyone, i got the idc connector, that was the missing
    element, the drive is now being detected.
    Thanks.
    Dave.

    dave, Aug 4, 2005