    collective wisdom before digging in.

    Thanks,
    Ethan

    hupjack, Jun 14, 2005

  2. On almost all Toshiba models, there is a removeable trim strip above or
    below the keyboard that "snaps" out ("snapping it out" is an art that
    you learn from experience, and it is quite possible to break the trim
    strip (plastic) if you don't do it right). Once this is removed, the
    keyboard either just lifts out, or is held by between 2 and 4 screws
    that are obvious and under the trim strip. On the back of the keyboard
    is a part number, replacement keyboards are readily available, anywhere
    from $9 to $50. E-Bay is a good source. The keyboard connects to the
    laptop with a "flex cable" that goes into a "ZIF" (zero insertion force)
    socket. You MUST know how to work the ZIF socket, if you try to insert
    or remove the flex cable without "unlocking" the socket, you will ruin
    the cable (keyboard) or socket, or both. Unfortunately, there are about
    5 styles of ZIF sockets used, so I can't give you exact directions. All
    of this comes with training.

    Barry Watzman, Jun 15, 2005

  3. hupjack

    hupjack Guest

    thanks for the help Barry...

    being pretty experienced as to how to apply the proper pressure from
    having worked on other brands of laptops, I was able to pop off that
    trim strip and replace the keyboard. Now everything works perfectly.
    Strange that of all the keys to die, the Z key was the first to go.
    Certainly not the most frequently used key..

    I wonder if anybody on eBay would want to buy an "almost perfect"
    keyboard :) I'm pretty sure everything worked accept the "z" key.

    hupjack, Jul 6, 2005
  4. hupjack

    rprinsen Guest

    Hi,

    I am facing a similar problem on my A10 ie to remove and replace
    keyboard.
    Have you got more hints where how to apply pressure to remove trim
    strip

    Kind regards, Robert

    rprinsen, Jul 11, 2005