Toshiba Satellite 2450 Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by William Vaux, Oct 3, 2004.

  1. William Vaux

    William Vaux Guest

    I need to replace the Hard Disk on my Toshiba Satellite 2450 but there is no
    information
    in the manual about replacing the hard drive and I can't find any
    information on the internet.

    I have taken pictures which can be found at
    http://www.geocities.com/bettingsynd/Satellite2450Back.jpg
    the red circles show the screws and the white borders show the sections that
    look like the come off.

    If you look at the side view
    http://www.geocities.com/bettingsynd/Satellite2450Side.jpg the part marked
    I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the hard drive and or how it
    comes out.

    If anyone could help me out with pictures or a step by step description of
    how to take out the hard drive
    I would be very grateful

    Thanks

    William

    William Vaux, Oct 3, 2004

  2. William Vaux

    tc Guest

    The side view is of the pc card slots. Nothing to do with your hard drive.
    Did you look under the covers on the bottom? My bet would be lower left in
    your picture.
    Terry

    tc, Oct 3, 2004

  3. I believe that the hard drive is under the panel at the lower left of
    your photo. Remove that panel (looks like one screw), and you will
    probably find the hard drive in a "carrier". Remove the carrier (should
    be fairly obvious), the hard drive can be removed from the carrier most
    likely by removing 4 screws (2 on each side). Replace the drive with
    another, put it back together. That part isn't terribly difficult.

    Now, however, what are your plans for moving the SYSTEM that's currently
    residing on that hard drive? That actually may be the larger issue than
    the mechanical replacement.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 3, 2004
  4. William Vaux

    William Vaux Guest

    Barry,
    Thanks for you help on this issue.

    I believe the current Hard Drive is dead. It locked up on me and didn't
    recover.
    I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I and a few other people feel the problem
    is.
    After resetting it took ages to try and load which it didn't, I decided that
    I would
    reformat and see if I could get it working again. When reformatting, it came
    up
    with errors and upon restarting with XP boot screen, it stayed on the boot
    screen
    for over an hour. All the time when having these problems the light at the
    front was
    on hard, meaning it was thinking and not doing anything, also there was a
    sound
    like a tick or knock. Anyway I rang Toshiba and they suggested try
    reformatting
    again and then it was even worse the next time as it would say something
    about
    not able to disk cache and Invalid destination drive.
    I emailed Toshiba in USA and asked about getting an 80G hard disk and
    whether
    there would be any problems putting that in. They told me it should be fine.
    Spoke to Toshiba in Australia again and they gave me numbers to ring re:
    support
    service and a company that sells Toshiba hard drives. I called about the
    hard drive
    and they told me $540 for a 40G, then told me they found one for $320. I was
    thinking WOW....I did some looking around and found an 80G for $255 and have
    bought that, just waiting for it to come in now. Hopefully a new Hard Drive
    will fix
    the problem, if not I'll probably have to take it in a get serviced.

    What do you mean about what are my plans for moving the SYSTEM that's
    currently
    residing on that hard drive?

    Thanks

    William

    William Vaux, Oct 3, 2004
  5. All of those prices seem tremendously high (perhaps they are not US $).
    I paid about $140 US$ for a 60 gig drive about a year ago.
    I'm talking about the operating system and your data. Apparently,
    however, those are both already gone anyway.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 3, 2004
  6. William Vaux

    Lee Guest

    I'll confirm that, since I have a 2450 ;)
    Wouldn't exactly call it a "carrier" though... :)
    Ghost and Drive image both work, but since the OP reports that the drive
    is dead, so that may not help...:(

    In case it helps, a plain install of XP works just fine - this machine
    is about as "standard" as laptops come really. (I've had Mandrake 9 on
    it too with most things working).
    All the XP drivers are available on the Toshiba site, although the only
    one I used was the modem driver. I went to Intel for the chipset driver
    and Realtek for the Lan card etc...
    The Omega drivers work great for the Geforce Go card in this machine too.

    Lee

    Lee, Oct 3, 2004