Toshiba Satellite M30 multiple partitions

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Zarko Coklin, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. Zarko Coklin

    Zarko Coklin Guest

    Recently, I bought a Toshiba notebook (laptop) - Toshiba Satellite
    M30-YSJ Centrino Mobile 1.6GHz. It came with a recovery disk and a
    hard drive 80 Gbytes big. In such cases I usually make couple of disk
    partitions so that I do not become a victim of a malicious virus or
    MBR gets corrupted by mistake. In both case likelyhood of loosing
    personal data stored on hard drive is high. Toshiba support center
    does not provide any suggestions how to do this. In fact, they do not
    support multiple partitions!? However, for the end users it is one of
    the most wanted features. For those not familiar with what recover
    DVD/CD is, it is a bundle of scripts and SW applications that will
    automatically start, partition your hard drive with a single partition
    and install operating system (in this case Windows XP) and all needed
    drivers. Kind of fool-proof installation recepie.

    I spent a whole weekend trying to figure out how to make 3 partitions
    and finally was able to achieve it. Just to get to BIOS on this laptop
    was challenge in itself. Since, it gave that much headaches and I
    found workaround without any additional SW, I decided to publish notes
    from this activity. Maybe, some of you will find it useful and I will
    use it as a reminder when time comes to re-install Windows XP :-( The
    whole procedure is broken into steps as follows:
    1. Insert CD recover DVD/CD into laptop
    2. Completely shutdown laptop (power goes off)
    3. Press and hold key “c”
    4. Push power button (key “c” is still depressed)
    5. You will get 2 options (F2->takes you to BIOS, F12->you can select
    startup devices). Still “c” is depressed and select option
    F12. Select system to boot from DVD/CD ROM. Release "c".
    6. Do not allow system to go on its own, and select option F2, soon
    after that you will get DOS prompt.
    7. Go to partition Q (virtual DVD/CD device), cd bin; start fdisk
    8. Repartition your hard drive using fdisk. Be sure to enable large
    disk support. Create one physical partition and set it
    “active”. Create extended partition and 2 logical
    partitions. Process takes long cause fdisk will verify disk integrity
    after each step.
    NOTE: When working with fdisk don’t be fooled with max. disk
    size reported. Fdisk fails to recognize correct disk size, however I
    used % to tell it how big each partition should be.
    9. Quit fdisk and at a prompt execute command: “seq –set
    4”. Don’t ask why! It will tell system that disk
    partitioning is done. Step 4 is over, or something like that.
    10. On Q drive under bin directory you will find "format". Use it to
    format your newly created partitions.
    11. At this point do “reboot” and make sure that system
    gets booted from DVD/CD ROM
    12. After this your Windows XP will be installed with all needed
    drivers. And everything will be exactly the same as if you follow
    regular Toshiba procedure, but you will have multiple partitions.

    Tip: To get to BIOS on Toshiba Satellite M30-YSJ Centrino Mobile
    1.6GHz Notebook you have to turn your laptop completely off, press
    “c” and hold it while turning laptop on. At one point you
    will get option to enter BIOS (F2). Release "c" only when you are in
    BIOS..

    http://vsbabu.org/mt/archives/2002/11/11/toshiba_1905s301_issues.html

    Zarko Coklin, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Zarko Coklin

    CeeBee Guest

    Maybe I missing something big here, but this procedure is a bit tedious
    and overdone.

    When you perform a _clean_ install of XP you'll set the BIOS to start
    from CD/DVD, and after the XP installation instructions pop up you'll be
    asked on what partition the OS has to be installed.

    In that menu you simply can delete all active and existing partitions,
    create as many partitions as you want with every size, and install
    Windows on the partition of your choice. It will then ask you to format
    that partition (FAT/NTFS if applicable and quick/normal format).

    After Windows is installed, you can simply format the other partitions
    from your Windows Explorer (right click/format)

    --
    CeeBee

    "I don't know half of you
    half as well as I should like;
    and I like less than half of you
    half as well as you deserve."

    CeeBee, Nov 9, 2004

  3. snip

    Boy, that really is doing it the hard way!

    After I got my Satellite P20, the first thing I did was install
    Partition Magic and set up my partitioning on the fly, without
    losing/reinstalling any of the installed O/S or software.
    I then installed all the latest WinXP updates, installed all my
    software, got rid of the Toshiba CD/DVD burning crap that came with
    the machine, set up all my preferences the way I like them, then did a
    defrag then a full Ghost image of my system onto a network HDD, plus a
    copy onto DVD, then I consigned the Toshiba recovery set to the bin.
    Who would ever want to go through the pain of reinstalling all your
    software and all the XP updates after using the Toshiba recovery
    set????

    Toshiba should give users a proper Win XP CD so that they can create
    slipstreamed SP2 etc install XP CD's from it if ever they do want to
    do an XP reinstall, not just give us that recovery CD crap.

    Peter Wilkins, Nov 10, 2004
  4. Zarko Coklin

    tc Guest

    If you are smart enough to know how to do all that, you should be smart
    enough to ask for what you want before you buy!!
    Terry

    tc, Nov 10, 2004