toshiba satellite odd behavior

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Dave, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I've got a Toshiba Satellite A10, model #PSA10C-00REH running WinXP Home
    SP1, 250Mb RAM, 2GHz processor.

    A few weeks ago it got slow. I mean real slow... booting up took ~45
    minutes, hard drive light was on the whole time. I booted into safe mode
    (~10 minutes), did a virus scan, disk scan, etc. Took hours to complete but
    everything checked out okay.

    So I removed the hard drive to determine the brand and model (Hitachi
    travelstar 30Gb) and downloaded Hitachi's drive fitness test. I burned the
    tools onto a bootable CD, fired 'er up and ran all the tests. They
    completed without fault in a reasonable length of time, i.e. the "drive
    exerciser" test which the software notified me would take about 30 minutes
    took about 30 minutes.

    Here's the strange part: when I rebooted the machine after replacing the hd
    and running the utils, all was well, booted up in just over a minute. I
    figured somehow maybe some dirt got onto one of the hard drive pins or some
    other such unlikely scenario but considered myself lucky not to have spent
    one nickel fixing this thing.

    However, it happened again today after about two weeks of flawless
    performance. Only this time instead of slow bootup I got no bootup "disk
    read error... press ctrl-alt-del to reboot". Well, I said to myself, let's
    skip a few steps: removed and immediately replaced the hard drive. Lo and
    behold the laptop booted up just fine.

    Anybody have any ideas on what might be wrong? I hammered the drive with
    the hitachi utilities, running the various tests overnight with zero errors
    although obviously the tests were non-destructive. I've closely inspected
    the connections from drive --> motherboard and connectors look fine.

    I'm guessing now that it's happened twice I'm in for more of the same or
    worse. Of course the machine is just OVER a year old so I'm screwed on
    warranty...

    Any replies greatly appreciated.

    Dave

    Dave, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Dave

    Quaoar Guest

    Check the four screws in the drive caddy for looseness.

    Quaoar, Jun 29, 2004

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    No loose screws. Any other ideas?

    Dave, Jun 29, 2004
  4. Dave

    Brenden Guest

    You may need to buy yourself some electronic cleaning solvent (I use
    Electrolube ULS ultra cleaning solvent) and spray this on the pins of
    the hard drive, you will only need a quick spray and then plug the
    hard drive in and out a few times to be sure the solvent applies
    itself to the pins and the hdd controller. This should fix your
    problem.

    Brenden, Jun 30, 2004