Toshiba satellite pro 4600 won't power on after standby!

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Yozas, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. Yozas

    Yozas Guest

    hello to all,

    one time, i did put to a standby my Toshiba satellite pro 4600,
    and now i can't turn it on.

    when i press the power button, the power led lights up,
    the floppy disk drive makes a very short noise and thats all.
    hard disk isn't spinning, DVD-CDRW drive door won't open,
    the screen stays black, no error messages, no beeps at all.

    i would like to try updating the bios, but i can't get to
    doing that, because my laptop is not working :(

    i found that one guy had the same problem here:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...UTF-8&q=&sa=N&tab=wg

    i emailed my question if he had fixed this problem,
    but haven't got any answer yet.

    any reply would be greatle appreciated.
    thanks,

    Juozas K.

    Yozas, Aug 3, 2003

  2. Have you tried powering it on and then sticking a paper-clip into the
    little force-reboot hole/button next to the power button?

    Richard Grossman, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Yozas

    Yozas Guest

    hello,

    no, but is it worth to try?
    one technician says that this could be because of heat,
    he says that Toshiba laptops sometimes 'go crazy' if overheated slightly,
    is ths true?

    thanks

    Yozas, Aug 4, 2003
  4. Yozas

    Cosmin N. Guest

    I meant return it to have it fixed, not to get your money back. It's
    almost imposible to get your money back for anything, much less for
    computers, which lose their value very quickly.
    Then by all means, have it fixed asap.
    How could the BIOS become corrupt?!? You need special software to
    overwrite a BIOS chip, putting a laptop on standby or overheating does
    NOT erase the BIOS.

    I think that technician is just giving you the run-around, hoping the
    warranty will expire before he needs to do anything to fix the laptop
    (if he's the one that sold it to you), or he's clueless. Take it back to
    the place you bought it from, and insist on having the laptop fixed.

    If they don't fix it within a week (more than enough time to order the
    parts and have them shipped), then you need to find out what is the
    problem. Since I don't have much experience with laptop hardware, I
    can't tell you exactly what is wrong, but there must be people in your
    city that can diagnose the problems very cheaply. Once you know, take
    the laptop back and TELL them what to fix.

    I hope this helps...

    Cosmin

    Cosmin N., Aug 4, 2003
  5. Yes, because if it won't come back from standby or hibernate, it usually
    just means the cpu is hung. You're not getting a true reboot.
    Definitely try the pinhole thing while the computer is on.

    Richard Grossman, Aug 4, 2003
  6. Yozas

    Yozas Guest

    the seller says that he could give me another laptop like this,
    but i doubt that it would be even a toshiba,
    not talking about that i would get the same model *sigh* ...

    it would be just too good if i managed to get another laptop from him
    that's technical parameters would like of mine Toshiba laptop.
    (my beloved 15' screen, DVD-CDRW and other)
    i don't know, at first i thought so too, that overheating can't damage
    the BIOS. or maybe it could?

    i know that the BIOS image stored in the EEPROM is used only when
    turning the power on, then it isn't accessed no more, until the notebook
    is started again.
    so maybe it did get damaged during the time when the laptop was on?
    and i have just noticed it on another boot-up?
    so maybe the standby wasn't the real fault?
    yes, i thought of that too...
    i just don't know what to do, how much time should i give to him?
    it has been just about a week now.
    are the new parts for my notebook still manufactured?
    i think that this model is not very new, its rather old, but has
    the decent performance and every features that i need now and then.
    Piii 800, 256MB, 20GB, thats enough for my needs and win 2000.
    i was thinking it could be the internal power supply, because
    they told me that the CPU does not get any VCC voltage, that is power.
    is the power supply board integrated in the motherboard (i have to buy
    a new moterboard :( or could it be a stand alone part?)
    yes, thank you for your thoughts,
    it did calm my nerves down somewhat

    Yozas, Aug 5, 2003
  7. Yozas

    Yozas Guest

    but the technician says that CPU doesn't get any supply voltage,
    that is no energy so i think it can't be hung?

    Yozas, Aug 5, 2003
  8. It takes about 3 seconds to try this...

    Richard Grossman, Aug 5, 2003
  9. Yozas

    Yozas Guest

    i misunderstood the technician. sorry.
    the CPU gets the power needed for him.
    they suspect the BIOS chip, they told me that they will
    desolder it and said that this is possible only one time,
    because of that chip package.

    then they will need to get a new one and program it with a BIOS image.

    please, comments are welcome and needed.

    thanks

    Yozas, Aug 6, 2003