Toshiba Satellite S5200-701 - boot problems

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Bill Alty, Aug 3, 2009.

  1. Bill Alty

    Bill Alty Guest

    A mate of mine asked me to look at his Tosh lappy but I don't normally touch
    laptops so I'm flying a bit blind so to speak. First thing I should say is
    that the battery is knackered so all this is with the laptop running on AC
    mains power.

    Out of 25 attempts, it's only successfully booted into Windows (XP Home)
    just 3 times. When it does boot into Windows, as soon as it gets past the
    blue "Welcome" screen and things begin to load, there's a constant beeping
    sound. Doesn't matter what you do - could be in Word typing a letter; could
    be looking at photographs; could be on the internet or whatever, the
    bleeping constantly goes on at a rate of 1 bleep per second. Everything
    seems to work OK once booted, apart from the bleeping.

    On the 22 ocassions it failed to boot into Windows, almost immediately after
    pressing the power button, there is just a black screen with the phrase "Set
    default value? (Y/N)" at the top left, and "BIOS V1.40" at the top right -
    pressing the Y or N keys has no effect whatsoever and nothing else happens
    no matter what keys you press or how long you leave it.

    I've tried all the usual ways of getting into the BIOS (Del; F2; F1; F8 etc)
    and can't get in. I have a copy of Hiren's Boot Disc and tried to boot from
    that CD but it won't. I tried setting the CD drive as the first boot device
    in the Toshiba HW Utility from within Windows and also tried hitting F12 on
    bootup but it will not boot from CD and I can't get in the BIOS.

    One thing I noticed while in Windows was that the system clock wouldn't hold
    the correct time, which I think points to a dead RTC or BIOS battery. Anyone
    confirm that and give any pointers as to how I should proceed?

    Thanks

    Bill Alty, Aug 3, 2009

  2. Bill Alty wrote:
    This may help:-

    http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaT...iceId=&dialogID=86898427&stateId=1 0 86900054

    Sorry about the long line. You may need to cut and paste. It's a link to
    an article on Toshiba's website describing a way round your problem.

    If you go here:-

    http://support.toshiba.ca/support/techsupport/ln_TechSupport.asp

    And follow the links to your model, there is a download available to
    make a DOS boot diskette which will let you access the BIOS setup,
    assuming you have the floppy drive that came with the unit when new..

    From what you describe, you either have a dead RTC battery or corrupted
    CMOS settings.

    John Williamson, Aug 3, 2009

  3. Bill Alty

    BillW50 Guest

    In Bill Alty typed on Mon, 3 Aug 2009 14:37:04 +0100:
    Yup, weak BIOS/RTC battery. It's a rechargeable Ni-MH Battery (Toshiba
    Part# P000268840). And I don't know about this model, but some models of
    Toshiba only charge the RTC battery if the screen is lit. So that is
    what I would do, power on the laptop and as long as the screen is lit,
    let it sit for 12 to 24 hours. If the battery is still good, it will
    recharge. If not, they look like this:

    http://www.impactcomputers.com/p000268840.html

    BillW50, Aug 3, 2009
  4. Bill Alty

    Bill Alty Guest

    Thanks John. Unfortunately, there's no floppy drive in the laptop and even
    if there were, it seems that the answer is about halfway down the page of
    the first link you gave, which says:

    <quote> Q. I Cannot enter BIOS in the Satellite 5000/5100/5200 Series:
    A. In this series you cannot enter the BIOS. You must use the Toshiba
    Utilities (HWSetup) within Windows to make any changes. </quote>

    What an absolutely stupid situation where you can't enter the BIOS!!!!

    Thanks for your help anyway, my friend.

    Bill

    Bill Alty, Aug 3, 2009
  5. Bill Alty

    Bill Alty Guest

    Ah, thanks very much Bill. I'll give it a try and we'll see what happens
    :eek:)

    Bill

    Bill Alty, Aug 3, 2009
  6. This could be many things. Among them:

    -Bad hard drive
    -Bad memory
    -Bad motherboard
    -Overheating due to dirty CPU cooling system
    -Bad BIOS

    Although the CMOS battery may be bad, on Toshiba laptops that normally
    won't prevent more-or-less normal booting.

    To get into the BIOS on Toshiba laptops, you either hold down Escape
    while turning on the power (and continue holding it until you see a
    message), or you press the F2 key immediately after turning the machine on.

    My fear is that it is the motherboard itself, but it's hard to say, and
    since that's the worst possible outcome, I'd explore the others first.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 3, 2009
  7. A bad battery in a Toshiba normally does not cause any serious problems
    but does cause CMOS to be reset every time the machine is powered on.
    While this is annoying, it likely has nothing to do with the actual
    problem(s) that the OP is experiencing.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 3, 2009
  8. I service Toshiba laptops, and I believe that information is absolutely
    wrong. There has to be a way to get into the BIOS without an installed
    OS, for reasons that you seem to understand quite well.

    Barry Watzman, Aug 3, 2009
  9. You could try asking on japan.comp.toshiba as there are people on there
    who know more than I do about these machines.

    The floppy drive on these machines is, according to Toshiba, a USB
    connected device, so it may be worth trying a cheap one from Maplins to
    see if it will boot from that, or try making a bootable USB stick with
    DOS 6.0 or higher and the TSETUP.exe program on it. If you make a
    bootable CD with just DOS and the tsetup program on it, that may work, too.

    The official Toshiba part number is PA3109U-1FDD, and is listed as
    available for prices between ten and forty pounds sterling.

    The sequence to boot from CD given in the manual on the Toshiba website
    is to turn the machine off, press F12, turn on power with F12 pressed,
    and hold F12 down until the "In touch with tomorrow" screen appears.

    Unfortunately, just about every Toshiba machine has a different way of
    accessing this command, so even if you've got another Tosh and know the
    way in, it won't help much. Toshiba have had this way of accessing the
    BIOS`for a very long time now, I have a Portege 3100 which uses the same
    method of modifying the BIOS. Come to that, IIRC, the very first Toshiba
    laptop I bought, which had DOS 3.3 in ROM and a massive ten Meg HD, had
    a program in its version of DOS to change the BIOS`settings.

    John Williamson, Aug 3, 2009
  10. Bill Alty

    me/2 Guest

    On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 14:45:51 -0400, Barry Watzman

    :>I service Toshiba laptops, and I believe that information is absolutely
    :>wrong. There has to be a way to get into the BIOS without an installed
    :>OS, for reasons that you seem to understand quite well.
    :>

    Nope, that information is correct. I just recently retired after
    spending over 10 years as a senior tech at a Toshiba Premier ASP. The
    entire 5000 series (5000/5100/5200) are like that. The only way to
    change any bios settings is via a windows based utility.

    BTW, I own, and still use, a 5205 and even with the windows utility
    there are only very few things you can change. I can't check what they
    are right now since I installed the windows 7 rc on it for testing
    purposes. Other than having to use the generic vga driver for the 64mb
    nvidia geforce 460 go chip the performance isn't bad for a 6 1/2 year
    old notebook.

    me/2

    me/2, Aug 4, 2009
  11. Bill Alty

    Adrian C Guest

    http://www.scribd.com/doc/6290813/Toshiba-Bios-Instructions

    Seems quite mad.

    Adrian C, Aug 4, 2009
  12. Bill Alty

    Larry Guest

    Laptops use their batteries as a UPS. Therefore those brick power
    supplies are designed cheap, depending on the big battery pack to smooth
    things out and make pure DC for the boards. When the battery is removed
    or tits up, there is the possibility of the odd power line glitch, just
    pure hum and noise, poorly regulated power being fed to the box, which
    may confuse it.

    Take a good digital voltmeter and measure the DC voltage unloaded and
    loaded on the motherboard where it comes into the box. It shouldn't
    vary hardly at all. Carefully inspect the soldering on this power
    socket for any tiny hairline cracks caused by the stress put on the
    socket when someone kicked the plug around. Hairline cracks are noisy
    as hell, not to mention intermittenly putting it in charge-battery-
    charge-battery as the plug wiggles which will drive it crazy. Switch
    the dvm to AC volts and measure the hum and noise on the DC bus at this
    power socket. It should read only a couple of millivolts WITH THE
    COMPUTER RUNNING, not jumping all over the place adding this noise to
    the data bus data.

    REPLACE THE DEAD BATTERY AS IT'S DRAGGING DOWN THE POWER SUPPLY
    constantly trying to charge it. That should be fairly obvious.

    If the power is stable and the new battery pack doesn't solve the
    problem, you're staring at a crashed hard drive which is on the edge of
    failing. Laptop drives catch hell from stupid users dropping them,
    bumping them when they're writing to disk. They get little respect or
    thought. All you had to do to really screw them up was spin the laptop
    around while the hard drive was writing some important data. The
    flywheel effect on the platter(s) caused the relative motion to the head
    to be wrong and THAT's NOT GOOD!

    Oh, one more easy thing to do. Unplug the memory card(s) and plug them
    back in several times to wipe the crud off their gold contacts. The air
    INTAKE for laptops is everywhere, right against the dirty desktop by
    only a few mm. Laptops are like vacuum cleaners sucking dirt in with
    the air off the desks. The memory board is right against the air
    intakes in most of them, so they get dirty. DO NOT BLOW COMPRESSED AIR
    OVER THE STATIC SENSITIVE MOTHERBOARD OR MEMORY CARD CONTACTS! The high
    voltage generated in an air conditioned room like yours will destroy
    them! DO NOT VACUUM THEM OUT EITHER...same idea...static! Any plastic
    whisk broom or paint brush is also a VAN DEGRAFF STATIC GENERATOR. The
    equipment to blow them out is too expensive to buy, static free
    workstation stuff. I like a damp paper towel with me grounded to the
    motherboard through a proper high resistance static wriststrap. That's
    safer. The tiny moisture left behind evaporates in a minute, don't wet
    it down. the dirt sticks to the wet paper towel. Just be careful of
    the static generators....

    --
    Larry

    http://flightaware.com/analysis/allflights_movie.rvt
    Each tiny red dot is an airliner in this Quicktime movie, ONE recent day
    of
    air travel in the USA. What would happen if "they" found out this was
    the real source of air pollution or cancer or why all the bugs around my
    streetlight have disappeared? Would "they" tell us? Would "they" STOP
    IT?!

    Larry, Aug 4, 2009
  13. Bill Alty

    tc Guest

    The only things in the Bios screen accessible with Esc are the date/ time
    and password.
    Terry

    tc, Aug 4, 2009
  14. Re: "Therefore those brick power supplies are designed cheap, depending
    on the big battery pack to smooth things out and make pure DC for the
    boards."

    That is not correct; laptops get their power, whether running on
    batteries or on AC, from a switching power supply inside the laptop (the
    laptop, like desktops, needs a variety of different voltages). Both the
    battery and the external AC adapter are simply inputs to this switching
    power supply (of course, the battery is also an "output", when it is
    being charged).

    Certainly, if you unplug the AC adapter when the computer is running on
    AC and has no battery, the laptop is going to die. But switching power
    supplies are relatively insensitive the quality of their INPUT power, as
    long as it is not interrupted entirely for more than about 10 to 50
    milliseconds. Certainly the battery does serve as a "UPS", should their
    be an AC power failure, but this in no way relates to the QUALITY of the
    AC power failure. And, in fact, the external AC adapters are quite good
    switching power supplies; in most cases they are relatively simple,
    since they only supply a single voltage. But, again, being switching
    power supplies, they themselves are quite immune to QUALITY problems
    with their input (the AC power from the wall), again, as long as it
    doesn't fail completely for too long (10 to 50 milliseconds, depending

    Barry Watzman, Aug 5, 2009
  15. Bill Alty

    undisclosed Guest

    undisclosed, Aug 7, 2009
  16. Bill Alty

    Martian Guest

    DEAD mobo battery....Cant hold the BIOS values..

    Martian, Aug 26, 2009