Toshiba Tecra 8000 battery discharge when turned off

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Martt Harding, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 model PRT800U. It's running Win2000, and
    does not have the Toshiba utilities installed because I bought the
    laptop used and the disk didn't come with it. Hibernate is disabled,
    and so far as I can tell the laptop is well and truly off when I turn
    it off, judging by the usual cold-start process it goes through when I
    next turn it on.

    But something is wrong. The battery, per the charge indicator
    routine, evidently discharges about 7-9% per day. After a week it
    has little capacity available when I start it up. If after fully
    charging the battery I slide it out enough to disconnect the
    connector, then check it a week later it shows about 98% charge and
    judging by how long it will operate then, I think the 98% indication
    may be about right.

    Question is, what is discharging the battery the the machine is
    supposedly turned completely off? According to the manual the main
    battery pack charges the backup battery which holds the RAM
    information for hibernation, so perhaps there could be a problem but
    it's unclear how to check. Or maybe something is still running and
    thus draining the battery, despite the fact that I think everything is
    turned off.

    This is really annoying. If you can tell me what's wrong or what to
    check I'd greatly appreciate it.

    And if you can tell me whether the state-of-charge monitoring is done
    inside the battery pack or inside the laptop, that would be helpful
    too.

    Martt Harding

    Martt Harding, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Martt Harding

    tecra Guest

    Matt
    You can go to the Toshiba website and download the need files for W2K.
    Just install in the correct order.

    tecra, Dec 15, 2003