Total Memory Size Limits x Limit per Memory Module ?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by david.cardoso, Oct 5, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    My notebook (toshiba satellite 1955-S803) specification states that the
    memory is expandable to 1024MB.

    I wonder if I could have only one single module of 1024MB instead of
    two modules of 512. How do I know whether there is a limitation per
    module?

    Today, I have two modules of 256. Now I want to upgrade to 1GB memory
    but I am not sure whether I can use a single module of 1024.

    What do you say?

    This is exactly what it says in the specification:

    Memory
    · 512MB SDRAM (Expandable to 1024MB)
    · Expansion memory: SODIMM, PC2100 DDR SDRAM, 2.5V
    · Data/Address Bus Width; 64-bit/32-bit
    · BIOS ROM: Intel FWH; 4Mbit
    · Intel 845 Chipset

    The specification also suggests the use of the following modules:

    Kingston Memory
    KTT3614/128 128MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
    KTT3614/256 256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
    KTT3614/512 512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM

    david.cardoso, Oct 5, 2005

  2. david.cardoso

    HC Guest

    G'day David

    From my understanding it's best to have RAM modules in matching
    pairs......ie 2 x 512Mb (to equal 1024Mb). Someone with more knowledge
    can correct me here?

    How many slots does your Toshie have?

    The upgrade will be worth the extra speed gained. Good luck ;-)

    HC, Oct 6, 2005

  3. There is no automatic benefit to having RAM modules in matching pairs
    except on systems using "dual channel" memory, where there either is a
    benefit (if the memory is not a matching pair it will operate in a
    single-channel mode) or it just won't work at all. The chipset
    determines if the memory is capable of dual channel operation, and it's
    a significant enough feature that it should be prominently listed if the
    laptop offers it. [Note that the 845 chipset used in the OP's computer
    does not offer dual channel memory]

    For most users, the benefit from going beyond 512 megs with XP is small.
    This does depend on both what programs you are running and how you use
    the computer, but for the typical user of desktop apps, by the time you
    get to 512 megs you have most of the benefits that larger memory can
    provide. For gaming, CAD and some other applications, however, or users
    who often open many apps at once, going above 512 megs may be worthwhile.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 6, 2005
  4. david.cardoso

    HC Guest

    Barry, thanks for that explanation! 512Mb had been OK for my needs (XP)
    until recently when I had a big photo scanning project and kept getting
    an 'Out of Memory' error message.

    Thanks again....at least I've learned something new today.
    Bronwyn ;-)

    HC, Oct 7, 2005