touchpad driver for Dell Latitude D520 under XP Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by dtal, May 30, 2007.

  1. dtal

    dtal Guest

    I just bought a new Dell Latitude D520 laptop. It came with Vista, but
    I prefer XP Pro,
    so I reformatted my disk completely and loaded XP Pro. It works fine,
    EXCEPT,
    that the touchpad does not respond. I am using a USB mouse for the
    moment.

    I have searched for a driver for this comp. for a touchpad, but can't
    find one.
    Can somebody send me such a driver, or tell me where I can find one.
    Dell does not seem to understand this problem.

    Maybe somebody out there in Cyperspace knows more than Dell.

    Regards,

    David Tal

    Please write me at

    Thanks

    dtal

    dtal, May 30, 2007

  2. dtal

    Tom Scales Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/2x26aw

    That will redirect to support.dell.com to the page for the ALPS
    touchpoint driver for the D520. I just went to support.dell.com and
    chose Latitude D520 and XP and it listed every conceivable driver,
    including this one.

    Dell is better than any other vendor I have seen about making their
    drivers available.

    This page:

    http://tinyurl.com/2xmbeh

    Has all the D520 drivers.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 30, 2007

  3. dtal

    paulmd Guest

    I don't get it either. Touchpads don't NEED drivers. The drivers for
    these things add functionality, but are not necessary for the basic
    operation of the touchpad.

    However: on many units the touchpad can be disabled in the bios, and
    it is entirely possible you have a defective touchpad, or that the
    connector came loose.

    Check the settings in the BIOS, for touchpad related things.

    If it comes to opening up the laptop, i would see about warranty
    repair first, as opening up the unit may void the warranty.

    paulmd, May 30, 2007
  4. dtal

    Fixer Guest

    I'll bet you diamonds he hasn't even installed the chipset drivers either

    Fixer, May 30, 2007
  5. dtal

    paulmd Guest

    Even so, the touchpad should work, touchpads not being part of the
    chipset driver suite.

    paulmd, May 30, 2007
  6. dtal

    Fixer Guest

    Fixer, May 30, 2007
  7. dtal

    alien Guest

    To the OP. You probably already know this but there's a button at the top
    of the touchpad to turn it on and off. It's not turned off is it?

    alien

    alien, May 30, 2007
  8. dtal

    Dell_CA Guest

    Hello,

    My name is Mike, I’m a Technical Analyst located at Del
    corporate headquarters in Round Rock, TX. I’m part of an interne
    outreach team developed to interact with the online community regardin
    technical questions and issues that customers face with Dell products
    I read your question and wanted to offer some help.

    If you have reinstalled the Operating System then it is important tha
    you install the drivers in the correct order. The order can be foun
    here http://tinyurl.com/2s3cv6. Despite the order of the driver
    installed the touch pad should have basic functionality. The basi
    drivers are installed by Windows so it should work as soon as the OS i
    loaded. Now, this may be a problem reflected by installing the driver
    in the incorrect order, but this means that you should have ha
    functionality of the touch pad prior to installing the drivers so, i
    this is the case, you may want to wipe the drive clean and start fro
    scratch using the list from the link I’ve posted above.

    There is a possibility that the touch pad is set to be disabled in th
    BIOS. To check this, reboot the system and tap the F2 key when the DEL
    screen appears. When in the BIOS go down to the section marke
    “POST Behavior” and locate the option fo
    “Mouse/Touchpad.” Make sure that it is set t
    “Touchpad-PS/2” and then save your settings and exit BIOS
    You can also accomplish this by simply choosing the “Loa
    Defaults” menu option. I hope this information helps.

    Thank you,

    Mike
    Dell customer advocat

    Dell_CA, Jun 6, 2007