    irresponsive at others. It hasn't helped to change the sensitivity,
    palm touch checking, or virtual scroll regions. I'm wondering if it's
    just me, or do others find this to be the case?

    BeadyBeady Bee, Jul 3, 2011

  2. BeadyBeady Bee

    Bob Villa Guest

    Well, they do go bad (crazy). Have you checked for a newer driver?

    Bob Villa, Jul 3, 2011

  3. When you say they go bad, do you mean that you have found that
    Satellite (A660?) touchpads get worse with time, or that you found
    Satellite (A660?) touchpads to be generally bad?

    This touchpad has been far from ideal from the git-go. At first, I
    thought it was just a matter of getting use to it, but at this stage,
    blood vessels on my skull are starting to bulge and pulsate.

    I checked the toshiba.ca site and no new drivers are shown. I tried
    to go to the Toshiba.com site, but they specify the laptop as A660-XYZ-
    ABC-ETC. I don't know which model to choose, and tohsiba.ca's tech
    support will not assist. I suspect that they are unable to assist as
    they probably don't know which of the US models correspond with this
    Canadian model (if any -- could be that none do).

    Synaptics has a new driver version that is generic rather than model
    specific. Again. tech support discourages trying drivers that they
    haven't validated because it could render the touchpad inoperable.
    (On a grumpy note, you can't imagine how much time on the phone it
    takes to get to this point).

    I'm wondering about the problem being addressable by a driver
    solution. When my left hand is millimeters away from the surface of
    the touchpad, and it is registering as a contact...that sounds
    physical to me. That's why I was wondering if anyone else experienced
    such problems. I would know whether it is endemic to the model, or
    just a defect in my machine. In the former case, there is no hope for
    a solution, whereas in the latter case, I have to debate whether it's
    worth the headache to try to get a solution (the barriers to which can
    be quite high).

    BeadyBeady Bee, Jul 3, 2011
  5. Speaking of delays in getting through, I recall reading on usenet that
    one could see a delay of several days when posting via Google Groups.
    It makes me fear for usenet.

    BeadyBeady Bee, Jul 3, 2011
  6. BeadyBeady Bee

    Bob Villa Guest

    Many use the same Synaptics technology and I was generalizing. This
    hypersensitivity can happen after a time or it could have been shipped
    with this defect.
    I prefer the "joy-stick" or mouse option myself.

    Bob Villa, Jul 3, 2011
  7. BeadyBeady Bee

    BillW50 Guest

    Well normally going to Synaptics website and grabbing the latest driver
    works well for the most part. But I noticed some applications like some
    versions better than others. Some of them like older and some of them
    like newer. I'm talking about the touchpad scrolling feature here.
    Everything else seems to work fine in my experience.

    Here is a report that says that any higher version then 15.2.1.0 has a
    huge memory leak problem. So what version are you using now? On this
    machine here I am using v7.12.3.0 (from 10/8/2004)

    http://gurustop.net/blog/2011/05/16/do-your-laptop-ram-a-favour-do-not-upgrade-your-touchpad-driver/

    Here is how touchpads work.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchpad

    See also:

    Common Symptoms of a Defective Touchpad Review | Laptop Stores Reviews
    http://www.a-pluscomputers.com/laptop-resource/common-symptoms-defective-touchpad/

    Toshiba Laptop Touchpad Problems | eHow.com
    http://www.ehow.com/about_5905254_toshiba-laptop-touchpad-problems.html

    What operating system are you using anyway? XP, Vista, Windows 7, etc?

    BillW50, Jul 3, 2011
  8. BeadyBeady Bee

    BillW50 Guest

    Another thing you can try BeadyBeady Bee is to disable the touchpad
    driver. One or two things can happen. Either the OS sees the touchpad as
    a mouse and it should work as a two button mouse. Or it won't see
    anything and you need to plug in a mouse to get it to detect it.

    If you turn off the computer, unplug the mouse if you had to do this and
    turn it back on. The touchpad should be now working from the standard
    mouse driver. Now see if the touchpad is still flaky or not. If it is,
    it isn't the touchpad driver. As it would be a hardware problem with the
    touchpad or ribbon cable or something.

    BillW50, Jul 3, 2011