Touchpad sensitive to pressure?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Hans Kamp, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. Hans Kamp

    Hans Kamp Guest

    My laptop's touchpad is sensitive to touching and to movement of your finger
    of course. I was familiar to it all the time, because that is how a laptop's
    touchpad works.

    In the System tray (near the clock) there is also a touchpad monitor. The
    colour indicates whether the touchpad is functioning properly:
    - Gray = no touch detected;
    - Little dark green circle = a very gentle touch is detected. There is no
    pressure, only there is just contact between the touchpad and the skin of my
    finger;
    - Big dark green circle = light pressure is detected;
    - Dark green circle with little bright green circle = normal pressure is
    detected;
    - Big light green circle = heavy pressure is detected.

    Windows uses the difference between touching and no touching, and when your
    finger is slipping over the touchpad. Windows doesn't show different
    behaviour when slipping the finger over the touchpad with light pressure and
    slipping the finger over the touchpad with normal pressure. The mouse
    pointer moves over the screen with the same speed.

    Now my question: Why is (at least my) touchpad also sensitve to pressure,
    not just sensitive to contact?

    Hans Kamp.

    Hans Kamp, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Hans Kamp

    Gary Tait Guest

    It really isn't, it is just sensing a larger contact area as you push
    more of your finger on it.

    Gary Tait, Aug 16, 2003

  3. Hans Kamp

    Bill Sharpe Guest

    My Dell Inspiron 1100 touchpad seems extremely sensitive to pressure. I try
    to move my finger over the pad and often inadvertently open a program or a
    folder. I tried adjusting the sensitivity in Control Panel and finally gave
    up, turning off the tapping capability. Now I use the touch pad strictly for
    navigation and dragging. I use the buttons for clicking.

    Anyone else have this problem?

    I can't see any touchpad monitor in my system tray. Is this an add-on
    utility?

    Bill

    Bill Sharpe, Aug 16, 2003
  4. Hans Kamp

    Hans Kamp Guest

    Indeed. When I increase the contact area between the finger and the
    touchpad, I first see a dark green circle, then a light green one, then a
    white one. This information is not used by Windows itself (only in the
    touchpad monitor).

    Why does my touchpad have this ability?

    Hans Kamp.

    Hans Kamp, Aug 16, 2003
  5. Hans Kamp

    Hans Kamp Guest

    I tend to think that your touchpad is malfunctioning. It thinks that
    sometimes there is no contact between your finger and the touchpad and
    sometimes it is. That is interpreted as tapping once or twice.

    What does the vendor (or repairer) say about this problem?
    Well I have a Synaptics touchpad and this ability was given by the
    pre-installed OS. Maybe you could change this by going to Start -> Control
    Panel -> Mouse (I have Windows XP Home). In my case an additional tab is
    added that gives me the ability to switch the monitor on or off. Maybe you
    have the same ability under Start -> Control Panel -> Mouse.

    Hans Kamp.

    Hans Kamp, Aug 16, 2003
  6. Hans Kamp

    Zibri Guest

    Let's clear things up a bit:

    Touchpads *ARE NOT* directly sensible to pressure.
    They are just sensible to electrostatic discharges coming from fingers.

    For sure also on my laptop I have a touchpad monitor which monitors
    pressure... so let's explain HOW this happens.

    To test this, pick up a glass and stik your finger on the glass. Look at the
    opposite side. You will notice that the more you press your finger, the
    wider is the surface of the glass you cover. So, to detect pressure, the
    software just LOOKS at the surface of the pad HIT by your finger.

    To check this, try to use two fingers :) You will notice an increase in
    pressure (because of the wider surface).

    That's all folks :)

    Zibri, Aug 16, 2003
  7. Hans Kamp

    Bill Sharpe Guest

    I suspect I just have a heavy hand. I need to get used to the touchpad. I've
    only had this Inspiron for a couple of weeks. I've been using a mouse for
    over ten years now and this is my first encounter with a touchpad.
    Thanks, I found the choice for displaying the Synaptics touchpad monitor in
    the taskbar. I just missed the checkbox there until you mentioned it.

    Bill

    Bill Sharpe, Aug 16, 2003
  8. It's sensitive to different contact areas (pressure) so that you
    can adjust its sensitivity levels. If it's too sensitive, every stray
    swipe of the pad will move your mouse cursor to the wrong point as you
    type - this was the biggest problem with the early models.
    Emanuel

    Emanuel Brown, Aug 16, 2003
  9. Hans Kamp

    Hans Kamp Guest

    Aha... I start to understand. :) If it weren't, it is impossible or very
    hard to adjust that. People have just different ways to use the touchpad...
    Indeed. My laptop has some abilities, such as PalmCheck (whose description
    you just gave). The sensitivity of the touchpad can be changed. My touchpad
    also has EdgeMotion. For example, if you want to move the cursor over the
    screen without taking off your finger from the touchpad. If your finger
    touches the border the mouse cursor continues moving until you take your
    finger off, or until you move your finger in the middle of the touchpad.

    Hans Kamp.

    Hans Kamp, Aug 17, 2003
  10. Hans Kamp

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Yes. I had the same problem so I turned off taps.
    It might be a setting.

    On my Acer 350c I could reset the backlight by holding my finger an inch above the touchpad.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    Barry OGrady, Aug 31, 2003