    burner with backward usb 1.1 capability. I understand that movies are quite
    choppy if I can't use USB 2.0 (which the TP 600x does not have). Comments
    appreciated. Thanks AJB

    Cogeco Newsgroups, Jul 21, 2004

  2. I use the DVD player in my 600X - I tried both WinDVD and another one
    provided by IBM. They were both jittery / choppy with mine - using Windows
    2000. Finally, after reading some other posts - I tried PowerDVD, and it is
    great - haven't had a single freeze, let alone jittery or choppy behavior.

    Hope this helps.

    clevelandtech, Jul 21, 2004

  3. Cogeco Newsgroups

    obs Guest

    1) Do dvd movies play well with 256mb of ram on the TP 600x?

    I don't think RAM is really an issue with DVD
    decoding. Raw power is.

    Top two favourites for any machine is PowerDVD
    and WinDVD.

    I would get one with a TP600 bezel. If you get
    some generic OEM drive, the front bezel is flat
    and won't match the 600's frame. It may be
    possible to use your current LG CD's bezel on
    an LG DVD drive but check it out first. I know
    on Toshibas the CD and DVD bezels are not
    interchangeable. If you use a dock, there may
    be issues on a non-IBM drive's firmware.

    WinDVD works fine for me on a 366MHz 600E 98SE.
    I have to reduce the colour bitrate to 16 from
    24 though. If you choose WinDVD, I recommend
    getting the freeware tool DVDGenie. It lets you
    tweak WinDVD for better performance.

    obs, Jul 22, 2004