TP570 - Trying to run recovery CD but does not identify CDRom Drive

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by mjc, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. mjc

    mjc Guest

    i have a tp570 that have always give me a lots of problems (blue screen of
    death); i decided to format the c: drive and run the restoration cd. i have
    an external cdrom drive (backpack model 181150), when the computer boots it
    goes to the a: drive, reads the "recovery cd-rom boot diskette" but it gets
    stuck and does not read the restoration cd in the backpack. to be honest i
    have change the autoexec and the config so many time that at this point i
    don't know what i am doing.

    help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

    mjc

    this is my autoexec.bat file:
    @echo off

    @SET PROMPT=$e[34;44m

    if exist bpcddrv$ \bpcdrom\mscdex /e:bpcddrv$

    A:\BIN\slips.exe

    a:\BIN\MACH.EXE

    a:

    cd \bin

    :EXIT

    config.sys:

    DEVICE=RECOVERY.SYS

    DEVICE=BIN\HIMEM.SYS

    DEVICE=BIN\EMM386.EXE NOEMS X=D000-D7FF

    DOS=HIGH,UMB

    FILES=75

    BUFFERS=25

    SHELL=COMMAND.COM /P /E:512

    LASTDRIVE=Z

    DEVICE=\bpcdrom\bpcddrv.sys /e:bpcddrv$

    rem DEVICE=BIN\IBMTPCD.SYS /D:IBMCD001 /P:170 /R

    DEVICE=A:\BIN\RAMDRIVE.SYS 8192 512 /e

    DEVICEHIGH=BIN\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(ega,437,(1,2))

    DEVICEHIGH=BIN\ANSI.SYS

    [common]

    mjc, Jun 4, 2004

  2. mjc

    obs Guest

    depending on how the external CD Drive is connected
    (such as PC card), you need to also load the
    appropriate drivers in DOS.

    obs, Jun 8, 2004

  3. mjc

    jake Guest

    backpack drives have to load the drivers to be seen .. they are a royal pain
    when it comes to trying to boot from ..

    i would start with a fresh boot disk (www.bootdisk.com) and install the
    backpack drive only ..

    jake, Jun 10, 2004
  4. mjc

    obs Guest

    Okay, I see you did load the driver in CONFIG.SYS.

    I'm no expert in commandline stuff but your
    AUTOEXEC.BAT reads as this:
    if exist bpcddrv$ \bpcdrom\mscdex /e:bpcddrv$

    Mine reads as:
    LH MSCDEX /D:IBMCD001 /L:G
    I would guess that the /D switch is the device
    name/driver as assigned in CONFIG.SYS
    and the /L switch is to assign the drive letter
    (which may not be necessary).

    Found a page explaining the switches at:
    http://www.wintrouble.net/discus/messages/62/2162.html

    I would change the line to read as (based on what I
    am using):
    LH \BPCDROM\MSCDEX /D:bpcddrv$ /L:x
    (where x = the letter you want to use)

    obs, Jun 10, 2004