[Traditional] Recursively change folder display options in Finder?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Hauke Fath, Apr 11, 2013.

  1. Hauke Fath

    Hauke Fath Guest

    All,

    is there an easy way to recursively change folder display options
    (icons, small icons, list, lock-to-grid etc.) in the "Traditional
    MacOS"(*) aka System 6-9 Finder?

    I have a downloaded tree with ~500 folders that I want to clean up and
    burn to DVD for archiving. The folders' layout is all messed up, so I
    would like to switch them all to list display and/or have the files
    arranged automatically.

    And I'd rather not do that manually. ;)

    Browsing "Inside Macintosh" didn't give me any obvious hints. I guess
    the Finder could be AppleScripted to walk the tree, open one folder
    after another, set the display options, and close it...

    Is anyone aware of other ways - be it a tool, or an API that could be
    used for programming the task?

    hauke

    Hauke Fath, Apr 11, 2013

  2. Hauke Fath

    Lewis Guest

    The specific version matters *a* *lot*. System 7 is very different under
    the hood to system 6, and to MacOS 9. (MacOS 8 is really System 7.7 and
    7.8).
    That seems like the only likely way to me. And I don't think this will
    work in System 6, and I'm not sure it will work in System 7.0 because
    APpleScript got a major improvement in 7.1, IIRC.
    There might have been a utility to do something like that, but good luck
    finding it.

    You might want to try asking on the applescript mailing list.

    Lewis, Apr 11, 2013

  3. Hauke Fath

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Apr 11, 2013
  4. Hauke Fath

    Hauke Fath Guest

    Obviously, when you think about AppleEvent-/AppleScript support. I was
    originally looking for some C API, but thinking about it some more, the
    Finder's graphical representation of the file system tree is the
    Finder's business, only. I'd be surprised if Apple had made the relevant
    parts of the Desktop Database (which obviously changed over time, too)
    public.

    [AppleScripting]
    I guess. System 7.6.1 on a Quadra 650 would be the setup of choice.

    hauke

    Hauke Fath, Apr 13, 2013
  5. Hauke Fath

    Hauke Fath Guest

    [Script]

    Thanks a lot, that is a great help!

    hauke

    Hauke Fath, Apr 13, 2013
  6. Hauke Fath

    Lewis Guest

    7.6 was released in 1997. While on the one hand that was 16 years ago,
    on the other hand it's more like 160 years ago. The world of computers
    was entirely different. Always on connections didn't exist. One of the
    major software distribution methods on the Internet was info-mac,
    which no longer exists, though I think it's been revived/rescued to
    some extent.

    The top-of-the-line Powerbook was a 2400c with a PowerPC 603ev at 180
    or 240 MHz and 16mb of ram. My iMac has 1500x as much ram.

    You're going to have to spend a lot of time with the Appelscript
    dictionary for the Finder and see what exactly is possible. I am
    guessing that what you want to do is *not* possible in 7.6 or 8.x, but
    might be in MacOS 9 with Akua Sweets or Jon's Commands.

    Lewis, Apr 13, 2013
  7. Hauke Fath

    Guest Guest

    always on connections definitely existed then, usually via isdn, but a
    modem connected 24/7 also worked. there were also wireless modems in
    some areas, which could be connected all the time too (and didn't tie
    up a phone line either).
    it exists, with much more than it used to have:
    also wrong.

    the top of the line powerbook in 1997 was a powerbook g3 (aka 3500c) at
    250 mhz with up to 144 mb of memory. also available in 1997 was a
    powerbook 3400c up to 240 mhz.

    the powerbook 2400c was 180 mhz in 1997, with up to 80 mb of memory.
    the 240 mhz version came later, in 1998, just before the powerbook g3
    series that replaced the earlier powerbook g3.

    the 3400 & g3 models had a built-in subwoofer in the lid, which made
    for incredibly good sound, far better than any other laptop apple has
    ever made.
    it needs that much because its operating system is more bloated.

    Guest, Apr 13, 2013