    My present computer has IDE drives. Are there connections on
    computers with SATA drives to hook up with an IDE drive so that
    transfer can take place? best, Aaron

    aaronep, Mar 29, 2007

  2. aaronep

    Ben Myers Guest

    One way to do this would be to buy an empty external hard drive case with USB
    cable, install your old hard drive, and have at it.

    Another way would be to connect both computers via Ethernet. If they are both
    connected to an Ethernet router or switch, it is very simple. If they are to
    be connected directly to one another, you need an Ethernet crossover cable, and
    you also need to set them up with fixed IP addresses in the same range.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 29, 2007

  3. aaronep

    aaronep Guest

    Hi Ben: the suggestions of obtaining an external hd case with usb
    connection sounds good.
    However, do you know whether or not these new computers with SATA
    drives also have
    IDE drive connectors? best, Aaron

    aaronep, Mar 29, 2007
  4. aaronep

    Tony Guest

    You can buy SATA to IDE converters. I have one in a PC at home. Sorry, can't
    remember who made is but 1 of my 3 drives is IDE connected to a SATA socket
    with the converter cable.
    Tony
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    Tony, Mar 30, 2007
  5. aaronep

    craigm Guest

    Many do, however, it depends upon the motherboard used by the manufacturer.
    (Actually, I haven't seen any without IDE connectors. Most optical drives
    are IDE.)

    craigm, Mar 30, 2007
  6. aaronep

    BR549 Guest

    Here is everything you ever wanted to know about your GT5412:
    http://support.gateway.com/s/pc/R/1014165/1014165nv.shtml

    Looks like the motherboard has a single ide connection for the DVD writer.
    You can either hook the drive up to it temporarily or attach it to it's
    cables 2nd connecter, if there is one.

    BR549, Mar 30, 2007
  7. aaronep

    Ben Myers Guest

    Some do, some don't... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 30, 2007
  8. aaronep

    Ben Myers Guest

    The most common newer motherboards these days have an older PATA connector for
    optical drives and SATA connectors for hard drives. But some are all SATA.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 30, 2007