Transfer data from Mac to PC formatted drive

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Marty Golden, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. Marty Golden

    Marty Golden Guest

    I have data that I need to transfer from a Mac formatted drive to a
    PC
    formatted drive. I have a MacBook Pro where I can use both the Mac
    and
    PC sides.
    My problem is that I can't transfer data from the Mac drive to the PC
    drive. On the Mac side, both drives are recognized but the PC drive
    is
    read only. On the PC side, only the PC formatted drive is recognized.

    Ideally, I'd like to fix the problem on both the Mac and PC sides
    without reformatting either drives since both have data on them
    already. If it helps, I have an unformatted 3rd drive that I could
    format in a different type of PC or mac format to make it compatible.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Marty

    Marty Golden, Jun 22, 2007

  2. Sounds like the PC drive is formatted NTFS which is, it can be
    confirmed, read-only for OS X.

    A software solution to run from Windows is:
    <http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/>

    I believe this will solve the problem from the Mac side:
    <http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html>

    I none of the files are very large (like over 4GB) you should be able to
    use that 3rd drive you mentioned formatted as FAT32.

    Gregory Weston, Jun 22, 2007

  3. Marty Golden

    Jon Guest

    Format that one as FAT32. Should work. The other one is most likely
    NTFS, as Greg said. NTFS is read-only on Mac OS X.

    Jon, Jun 22, 2007
  4. Marty Golden

    Marty Golden Guest

    Thanks for your help. I formatted the 3rd drive as Fat32 and used it
    to transfer the files. It might not the most effcient way but it
    worked.

    Oh and sorry about the double post...I posted it in portables before I
    realized it was low activity and had a better chance for a response
    here.

    Marty Golden, Jun 22, 2007