    plug. How do I transfer files out of there? I have new macs, windows,
    and linux computers at my disposal for this task. Thanks for any help
    you can offer!

    sweetandy, Oct 19, 2008

  2. sweetandy

    Guest Guest

    that sounds like a powerbook duo. is there a long thin docking
    connector across the middle? little flip-down legs that cover the two
    ports?

    you might be able to find a dock on ebay (or maybe your father already
    has a dock). look for one with ethernet so you can connect the duo to
    a modern network, but copying the data to an external scsi drive could
    also work. with the appropriate cable and dock, you could enable scsi
    slave mode and attach it to another computer. or, since it already has
    a localtalk port, you could use an ethernet-localtalk adapter.

    another option is open up the powerbook and remove the hard drive and
    put it in an enclosure. if it's a powerbook duo 2300, the drive will
    be ide, otherwise it will be scsi. unfortunately, 2.5" scsi enclosures
    are probably hard to find these days.

    Guest, Oct 19, 2008

  3. sweetandy

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    Ir sound like just about every PowerBook prior to the 520 and 540, from May
    1994.
    No kidding.

    As I noted elsewhere, it might be best to upload the data using the modem.
    It'll take a while, but it can be done. And there can't be much data to
    upload as the hard drives in those machines weren't that big.

    J.J. O'Shea, Oct 19, 2008
  4. sweetandy

    Guest Guest

    all the other powerbooks had a full selection of ports. the duo was
    the only powerbook that had *only* a localtalk and modem connector,
    plus a dock connector.
    that's an option if it's not a lot of data. my duo had a 320 meg
    drive, and uploading all of that with a modem would take a long, long
    time...

    Guest, Oct 19, 2008