    me transfer the files, preferences, etc.

    Thanks,
    Craig

    Craig, Aug 3, 2006

  2. Craig

    Jay B Guest

    did you check out the microsoft settings transfer wizard, available
    under the start menu?
    i dont use this myself, but others here do.
    it was discussed in this newsgroup a few months ago.

    Jay B, Aug 3, 2006

  3. Craig

    Craig Guest

    I don't see that wizard under the start menu on my computer but will
    look for that thread and do a google search for it.

    Thanks for the help,
    Craig

    Craig, Aug 3, 2006
  4. Craig

    Jay B Guest

    should be under Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools
    called Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

    Jay B, Aug 3, 2006
  5. Craig

    Rich Guest

    i went thru that...once. the MS tool will get the job done but it was
    painfully slow. there are a couple of options but both will cost $
    (making the MS tool more attractive to some).

    - image backup: if you're already doing image backups of your old pc
    all you need do is partition the new hard drive the same way the old
    one is partitioned and then do a restore on the new pc. if the old pc
    is not partitioned then you won't need to partition the new one.

    - fastlynx: this is a commercial program that allows file-by-file,
    folder-by-folder or drive-by-drive copying. fastlynx supports serial,
    parallel and USB transfers. i use fastlynx and it is as
    advertised...quick and easy. <http://sewelldirect.com/FastLynx.asp>

    there are probably other act-alike packages out there, craig. a
    search via google or on www.download.com is probably a good idea.

    good luck.

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Aug 3, 2006
  6. Craig

    Ben Myers Guest

    Why not transfer data through a network? MUCH faster than serial or parallel.
    Don't know about speed of USB transfers compared to 100Mbit Ethernet. Probably
    comparable.

    If the two computers are on a home network, enable sharing on the C: drive of
    the old computer and simply drag-and-drop whatever the OP wants. I did this to
    set up my new computer this week. Pretty easy.

    If the two computers are NOT already on a home network, I will assume that they
    both have Ethernet adapters. Then all one needs is a cross-over Ethernet
    cable. Enable file sharing, and set the IP addresses for the Ethernet adapters
    to the same sub-domain, something like 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.11 for
    example... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers
    Spirit of Performance, Inc.
    73 Westcott Road
    Harvard, MA 01451
    tel: 978-456-3889
    fax: 810-963-0412
    PayPal & cold hard cash accepted.

    Ben Myers, Aug 4, 2006
  7. Craig

    Dan Guest

    The "official" one used by Dell is IntelliMover by Detto. This will
    transfer data over either an ethernet cable, parallel (serial?)
    connection or a specialized USB data transfer cable (included with the
    software). I highly recommend using the USB cable supplied with the
    software. You can get this program at the usual computer places.

    Steps to transfer the data:
    1) Install and run Intellimover software on your old computer

    2) While Intellimover is detecting all the data on your old computer,
    take the CD out and install the Intellimover software on your new
    computer (the program needs to be installed on both computers).
    Select USB cable and the new computer is ready.

    3) On the old computer, select the data to be transferred using the
    check-boxes (I usually throw it all over). Select the cable type
    (USB) and then plug the USB cable into the OLD computer FIRST.

    4) Plug the data transfer cable into the new computer. The transfer
    should start once "communications is established" and you press the
    "next" button.

    It roughly takes about 20 minutes per GB, so if you have video
    rendering, tons of mp3s, or the entire Simpsons DVD collection on your
    old computer, it's gonna take a while (for the record, the "offical"
    Dell data transfer service is limited to 2 GB due to time limitations.
    Buying the software and DIY'ing it you can do as much as you want).
    And, oh yea, the technician gets to keep the cable :p I've gone to
    places and the customer thinks they get to keep it.

    A few notes of warning:
    1) Make sure your anti-virus software (as well as windows updates) on
    the NEW computer have been updated BEFORE starting the data transfer.
    DELL DOES NOT SEND NEW COMPUTERS WITH THE LATEST WINDOWS OR ANTIVIRUS
    UPDATES!!! They basically have an image, copy the image, and ship the
    computer out. The first thing you should do with your new Dell is go
    to mcafee/norton and update the definitions. Also make sure the
    windows updates are done...I think XP is up to about 52 patches or so.
    This will require a couple restarts but it is extremely important to
    perform before starting a data transfer (and yes, I've frequently had
    viruses attempt to "piggy-back" over from the customer's old computer
    to the new one)

    2) Windows ME is a nighmare for data transfers (yea its a nightmare in
    general, heh). it frequently doesn't detect the USB data cable, and
    it isn't uncommon for IntelliMover to crash while attempting to detect
    application files on your computer (both kinds of crash...blue screen
    as well as standard "this program will be shut down")

    2) Install all applications BEFORE performing the data transfer
    (quicken, quickbooks, etc.). Otherwise the application might not be
    able to find your old data very easily, and you'll think the program
    did a bad job of transferring the data ;)

    Dan

    Dan, Aug 4, 2006
  8. My approach would be to get the new PC patched and up to date with all
    the essential programs (antivirus, antispam, broweser, etc.), then share
    my media partition (personally I'd share via NFS, but if you don't know
    how to set that up, there's always Windows Shares). If both PC's have
    gigabit, then the transfer should be only limited by the slowest HDD
    speed (or possibly protocol speed, not sure how well Windows Sharing,
    aka Samba, scales). If gigabit isn't available on both, but they both
    have firewire (IEEE1394, then that's the second fastest method; worst
    case both machines almost surely have 100Mbit ethernet. You don't need
    a router or switch to transfer between two machines, but it will make
    setup simpler. Also I wouldn't transfer programs, rather I'd install
    them fresh and copy settings manually.

    Nicholas Andrade, Aug 4, 2006
  9. Craig

    Rich Guest

    you're right, ben. that would be a viable alternative.

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Aug 4, 2006
  10. Craig

    Tom Scales Guest

    But the original question was how to move application settings, not just
    files.

    Tom Scales, Aug 5, 2006
  11. You don't need a cross-over cable to transfer files between two PC's
    without a switch, just set one PC up with a dhcp daemon (server) like
    dhcpd, the free one available in Cygwin, and you're set.

    Nicholas Andrade, Aug 5, 2006
  12. Craig

    Tom Scales Guest

    Why would you go to all that trouble? Just share the drive, plug in the
    crossover cable and you're done.

    Tom Scales, Aug 5, 2006
  13. Craig

    Ben Myers Guest

    Huh? Unless one has a switch or a router, how can a straight Ethernet cable
    possibly work between two computers? The whole idea with a crossover cable is
    to cross the electronic signals between the computers. If one uses a straight
    cable, neither computer can possibly sense that another computer is present on
    the other end of the cable.

    As for dhcpd, that's a good one for the fairly technical types in the crowd.
    As to whether it is easier than setting fixed IP addresses, this is a matter of
    personal preference... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 5, 2006
  14. Personally I've been in a situation a couple times where the person I
    was helping didn't have a crossover cable lying around and I had a
    straight CAT5 in my bag.

    Nicholas Andrade, Aug 5, 2006
  15. I can gaurantee you it works, I've used it myself in the past (one PC
    was running Linux, though that shouldn't have mattered). Personally I
    don't bother with crossover cables becaise for the same price of that
    cable you can get a cheap router.

    Nicholas Andrade, Aug 5, 2006
  16. Craig

    Leythos Guest

    If you have one cable, straight, between two computers without any other
    device, unless you have a NIC that does auto-mdi/mdix, you will not get
    a connection.

    If you have a router, then straight cables work fine (even a straight
    and crossover will work if you have a auto-mdi/mdix switch in the
    router).

    Leythos, Aug 5, 2006
  17. Craig

    Tom Scales Guest

    If one of the machines has gigabit, it would work, as gigabit will
    autonegotiate.

    Tom Scales, Aug 5, 2006
  18. I'm guessing you've never tried to build your own router. All you need
    is an older PC, a couple NIC's, and straight cables -- yes computers
    will be connected directly to the PC acting as a router with straight
    cables. The switching can which a crossover cable does is easily done
    in software; I didn't do anything special to network my PC to my
    friend's parents when I needed to help them out.

    In my situation, my friend's parents had an older laptop with a modem &
    network card, but no WiFi. I needed to download a ton of stuff to their
    PC, but I wasn't going to wait for their 56K modem to do it. Their
    neighbor had an open WiFi point, but I only had my integrated card & a
    straight through ethernet cable I keep in my laptop bag. All I did was
    lauch dhcpd on my wired port, download the necessary software (AVG,
    Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc.) on my WiFi and transfer the files via ftp
    (Windows has a built in ftp client). As Tom pointed, if both PC's had
    gigabit, it would be even easier.

    Nicholas Andrade, Aug 5, 2006
  19. Craig

    Leythos Guest

    One person said that GB NIC's auto-cross over, but I've not seen any
    myself.

    Leythos, Aug 6, 2006
  20. Craig

    Ben Myers Guest

    Crossover cables are cheap enough to carry one around to help out whomever needs
    it. For ad hoc service work where a client requires files to be transferred
    from old to new computer, I bring a 2-port KVM and a crossover cable along with
    the new computer. I never leave home without a crossover cable. No problem,
    ever. No fuss to set up, either.

    But, hey, whatever works. I'm more than mildly curious as to why a straight
    cable even works at all to connect two computers together. Perhaps someone can
    elucidate on this... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 6, 2006