    doing this?I want to send stream of binary bits through the
    hyperterminal to the processor.
    Thanx.

    kittyawake, Apr 22, 2005

  2. kittyawake

    Scott Guest

    hi all,
    Use _anything_ but Hyper-Loser-Terminal.

    Scott, Apr 22, 2005

  3. kittyawake

    Tauno Voipio Guest

    I'm using the X-modem protocol for it. Hyperterminal knows
    it.

    Google for 'xmodem protocol'.

    Tauno Voipio, Apr 22, 2005
  4. kittyawake

    David Guest

    So that we don't end up with yet another "my terminal program is better
    than your terminal program" thread in this newsgroup, please have a look
    at the newsgroup archives or search the web. In summary, Hyperterminal
    seems to work for some people and for some uses, but there are hundreds of
    far superior terminals available (mostly free, some commercial) to suit
    all tastes. No one who has switched from Hyperterminal has ever looked
    back. So get hold of a real terminal program, and downloading binary
    files should be obvious in use and entirely reliable.

    David, Apr 22, 2005
  5. Possible: sure. It may be harder to achieve with HT than with a
    proper terminal program.
    These questions suggest that your real problem is not in the
    transmission of those data, though. You rather apparently haven't
    thought through the "why" before attacking the "how" question:

    1) UARTs don't send "streams of bits" --- they send bytes.

    2) If you don't even know how to create a binary file, why do you think
    you should be sending it to your micro?

    Hans-Bernhard Broeker, Apr 22, 2005
  6. kittyawake

    Dan Henry Guest

    We already determined in comp.arch.fpga that your MicroBlaze and one of
    the Xilinx UART cores could transfer the data. Now check what binary
    transfer protocols your terminal program supports, find source code for
    that protocol, and implement it on the MicroBlaze end.

    Dan Henry, Apr 22, 2005
  7. kittyawake

    Al Guest

    I want to transfer and receive a binary file using hyperterminal to
    Xmodem etc ...
    ???

    So you want to send a file that you can't even create????

    Baffled!

    Al.

    Al, Apr 24, 2005
  8. kittyawake

    DanMatthews Guest

    I wanted a simple terminal for testing some UART routines. The group her
    is right there are very many excellent programs. I picked these becaus
    they were simple and the settings are right there on the GUI
    On Linux I use CuteCom when I want a simple program, it is low frills
    frankly, but never crashes which was becoming a problem for me on othe
    terminals.
    http://cutecom.sourceforge.net/

    On Windows Bray++ Terminal for Windows is good.
    https://sites.google.com/site/terminalbpp/

    What you probably want for creating the binary data file is a "hex editor"
    Again, there are very many, but I am currently using Bless on Linux, ther
    is also a Windows port.
    http://home.gna.org/bless/

    Here is a comparison of hex editors, I see trusy emacs can do the job, I'l
    have to try that
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_hex_editors

    DanMatthews, May 5, 2014
  9. kittyawake

    Anssi Saari Guest

    Since you mentioned Emacs regarding hex editors, I just wanted to
    mention Emacs also includes a simple serial terminal as well. Starts
    with M-x serial-term and it then asks for a port and speed. Port
    settings are configurable from the status bar. I've used it in Windows
    and Linux. No binary file transfers though.

    Anssi Saari, May 8, 2014