    /7200rpm/8mb cache/ 8.9ms/Average Latency 4.17ms? Computer is Dim. 8400,
    3.2, 1GB memory.

    Monica

    Monica, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Monica

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    Hey, this isn't the Homework Helpers Club. ;-)

    Ted Zieglar, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Monica

    Nick Guest

    I honestly don't know, but I do know the bottle neck is the DVD drive; the
    hard drive is much much faster.

    You cold try looking up the specs for the DVD and see if that tells you
    anything useful, or just experiment: time 100 MB of data transfer, then
    multiply by four, for example. That would give you a rough idea.

    --
    Nick <mailto:>

    Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

    Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
    doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.

    Nick, Aug 11, 2005
  4. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Well it varied a LOT. The first 4GB DVD took about 1 hr and 15 minutes to
    transfer. The next (about 1/3gb MORE) took abotu 30 minutes. The last DVD
    backup to transfer took 15 minutes. It was a little under 4gb.
    doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.

    Monica, Aug 11, 2005
  5. Monica

    Steve W. Guest

    There is no real set speed for the data backup in the real world. On
    paper you could work it out BUT that assumes that the data is static and
    that it is composed entirely of uncompressed info. In real world
    conditions you get a LOT of things tossed in that can slow the system
    down. Data compression coming off the DVD, or going onto the hard drive.
    Seek interference when your using the machine for other items while it
    backs up the data, DVDs that have errors or optical drops that cause it
    to be scanned 2-3 times. Data transfer over a shared data bus to the HD.
    Any anti virus software that looks at data real-time. Memory use during
    transfer. And a few dozen other items all can make things bog down.
    In order to achieve the fastest transfer you have to shut just about
    everything down except the transfer program and windows. No
    screensaver,no AV, no other open programs running in the background and
    don't touch the mouse or keyboard. Basically the way it used to be when
    CDRs first started on the market.

    Steve W., Aug 11, 2005