Transfering data from old IDE to new SATA

Discussion in 'Asus' started by N1CK3RS0N, Feb 14, 2008.

  1. N1CK3RS0N

    N1CK3RS0N

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    Hello,

    I've been putting this off because I knew it would be a hassle.

    My old computer which I used for 10 years was a 1998 Dell. I recently finished building my new custom PC and its been great. Now I just need to transfer some files from my old PC to my new one.

    I took the old hard drive out of the Dell, hooked it up to my new computers motherboard using the ribbon cable, and attacked the power cable from the power supply.

    I expected it to just list the new hard drive as like drive e:/ . But it is not reading it. I'm told I may have to do something using the BIOS?

    Anyone know how I can get my new comp to read this old drive.

    Motherboard information:
    http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=103&l1=9&l2=39&l3=99
    ASUS, NCCH-DL

    Hard drive informationl:
    Old: Maxtor n256 IDE 20gb hard drive.
    New: Western Digital SATA 500gb hard drive

    N1CK3RS0N, Feb 14, 2008