    about transfer the exact contents of one drive to the other? (Also: I
    myself don't have another ahrd drive with enough free space to store
    the laptop's hard drive image).

    ssj4android, Sep 27, 2005

  2. I'd use Drive Image. It has a "disk-to-disk" option, where entire
    partitions are transferred from one disk to another, both directly
    connected to the same computer at the same time. For the connection, I
    would use a USB connection on the new drive using one of these:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-2-5-3-5-5-25-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-IDE-Adapter_W0QQitemZ8700209855

    [This is a really cool device, and for $14, this is something that
    EVERYONE who works on computers should have.]

    You can resize it later with Partition Magic.

    Note: My recommendation is for Drive Image version 7. Powerquest was
    bought by Symantec, and I am not sure that Drive Image is still being
    marketed. The "guts" of Drive Image became Symantec Norton Ghost
    version 9, but I'm not sure of what happened to the "disk to disk" mode,
    or if or how easy/difficult this would be to do with Ghost version 9.
    It may well be possible but the only thing that I can recommend based on
    personal use is the actual Drive Image product.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 28, 2005