Transferring Mail Accounts And Saved Mail To Another Computer

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Kurt R. Todoroff, Jul 22, 2010.

  1. I anticipate purchasing an iMac in the fall. I am using an early 2002
    iMac G4 800MHz 15-inch running 10.4.11. It has old legacy files (mostly
    settings and unused fonts) on it that date back to PPC/MacOS 8.6 and
    even 68030/MacOS 6.0.3.

    I want to install all of my third party applications from the original
    installation disks on to the new iMac. I will recreate my iTunes and
    iPhoto configurations manually as well. I will easily update my Address
    Book, iCal, Safari bookmark data via my MobileMe account. I want to
    transfer all of my mail accounts and saved mail from the old iMac to the
    new iMac. I have read that MobileMe does not support this on Tiger, but
    it does on Leopard and Snow Leopard. I have read that, despite the
    Migration Assistant's good reputation, many persons have experienced
    difficulty transferring their mail from a Tiger Mac to a Snow Leopard
    Mac when using it. I want to avoid using MA to effect the transfer of
    my Mail data from the old Mac to the new Mac. Here is what I came up
    with:

    Currently, I boot my iMac G4 from an external Firewire 1TB hard drive.
    Every day at 0045, SuperDuper! performs a full backup of this drive to
    another external Firewire 1TB hard drive. I have a licensed copy of
    Snow Leopard that my brother gave to me, not knowing that it does not
    support the G4 processor. If I disconnect the backup drive from my iMac
    G4 and then connect it to the new iMac Intel, will the SL installation
    disk install SL on this drive? I have read that the SL installer will
    only install on GUID disks. Obviously, this disk is APM. Is what I
    read correct?

    If this is not correct, then I want to boot from this external SL drive,
    and then transfer my mail accounts and save mail to MobileMe. Then, I
    will reboot from the internal hard drive, disconnect the external hard
    drive, and they sync my computer's mail accounts and save mail to
    MobileMe.

    Alternatively, can I connect the external Firewire 1TB hard drive to the
    new iMac, format it using GUID, then reconnect it to the Tiger iMac,
    perform a full SuperDuper! backup to it, then reconnect it to the new
    iMac and then install SL on it, and then sync via MobileMe?

    If I could borrow a Leopard installation disk, then I could install
    Leopard on the external backup drive, and the I could copy the Mail
    folder from ~Users/Myaccount/Library on this hard drive to
    ~Users/Myaccount/Library on the new iMac internal hard drive. Once this
    is complete, I would reconnect the backup drive to the Tiger iMac. The
    day at 0045 SuperDuper! would clone the boot drive to the backup drive,
    thus removing any vestiges of Leopard from that drive.

    Reinstalling all of my third party applications will be simple because I
    have very few of them. Syncing most of my AB/iCal/Safari data via
    MobileMe will be a snap. I've done this previously. The main roadblock
    is Mail.

    Any suggestions?

    --

    Kurt Todoroff

    Markets, not mandates and mob rule.
    Consent, not coercion.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Jul 22, 2010

  2. You are correct. Your approach will work, but be aware that while the
    external drive is partitioned with a GUID boot loader, you won't be able
    to restore your G4 from it. I'd wait until I had the new system setup
    and ready to do the transfer before I repartitioned the external disk.

    I see no way to run Leopard on your G4, so borrowing a copy won't do you
    any good. I don't know how well the migration assistant will deal with
    Tiger --> Snow Leopard. It's your call, but Apple offers a service
    claiming they'll do this for $99. If you want to dick around with it
    and maybe get it wrong, that's up to you. I'm making this
    recommendation to a colleague who want to do a similar migration from a
    400Mz G3 to a new iMac. No Firewire, so no FW disk target mode. Won't
    be pleasant. But it's not my problem.

    Michael Vilain, Jul 23, 2010

  3. Kurt R. Todoroff

    krishnananda Guest

    On the new mac, fire up Mail.app, go to "File > Import Mailboxes..."

    Check the "Mail for Mac OS X" radio button and go to it.

    The rest: above my pay grade. Why don't you just clone the old disk and
    attach the clone to the new machine & use Migration Assistance. Your
    method seems overly complicated...

    krishnananda, Jul 23, 2010
  4. Did you miss where he said "I want to avoid using MA" because he's heard
    that people have had problems using it to transfer mail data from Tiger
    to Snow Leopard?

    Barry Margolin, Jul 23, 2010
  5. He's sorta stuck, as I see it. He can transfer files BY HAND and if
    they don't need any sort of conversion (huge if), then they'll work on
    SL. Otherwise, MA is really his best shot, short of doing a
    datamigration by himself. If this is the way the OP wants to go, great.
    Have at it. Otherwise, why not try MA and see if it works. If it
    doesn't, wipe the iMac, install a clean copy of 10.6, upgrade it and
    patch it, and install everything by hand. That's what I ultimately did
    with my Leopard -> Snow Leapard migration. Be ready to shell out bucks
    for upgrades for stuff that doesn't run on 10.6 like Quickeys, etc.

    Michael Vilain, Jul 23, 2010
  6. <snip>

    I searched through the ~Users/Myccount/Library/Mail folder last night
    and I performed some testing. I learned the following:

    I removed the "Mailboxes" folder from the aforementioned directory
    location while Mail was not running. Then I launched Mail. Everything
    appeared to look and operate properly except that Mail did not display
    all of my mailboxes. I expected this. I quit Mail. I moved the
    "Mailboxes" folder back into the aforementioned directory. Then I
    launched Mail. Everything appeared to look and operate properly, and
    Mail did display all of my mailboxes and their proper contents.

    I have decided to do the following when I purchase the new iMac. I will
    install Leopard over Tiger on the old iMac external Firewire 1TB backup
    hard drive. I will reboot the old iMac from this backup drive. I will
    turn on MobileMe syncing of my "Mail Accounts" and my "Mail Rules,
    Signatures, and Smart Mailboxes" and then perform a manual sync. Then,
    on the new iMac, I will turn on MobileMe syncing of my "Mail Accounts"
    and my "Mail Rules, Signatures, and Smart Mailboxes" and then perform a
    manual sync. Then I will copy ~Users/Myccount/Library/Mail/Mailboxes
    from the old iMac to the new iMac.

    Can anyone see any holes in the plan?

    Thank you.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Jul 23, 2010
  7. Kurt R. Todoroff

    XX Guest

    How do you people put up with this? This is like the "Dark Ages" of
    computing.

    XX, Jul 23, 2010
  8. Good backups in the plan are definitely a plus.

    It has been awhile since I've done a new install and mine have usually
    just been one version upgrades and some new box installs. I use
    TimeMachine all the time and used it to do the last one. All my mail
    and other accounts were there at the end.

    In your case, if you install Leopard over Tiger on a clone backup, boot
    from that drive when done and you might find it all there and ready to
    go.

    Lloyd Parsons, Jul 23, 2010
  9. I remembered that I have my own user account on my father's iMac Intel
    C2D running Snow Leopard. So, I used my account on his machine to run
    an experiment.

    I copied the files from my old iMac Tiger to his iMac Snow Leopard. I
    launched Mail. There they were! All of my mailboxes and years of old
    emails! (Yes, I do clean out my mailboxes every couple of months.) I
    tried to use MobileMe to sync my old Mail accounts (Tiger) to Mail on
    SL. They didn't appear in Mail. However, all of my "Mail Rules,
    Signatures, and Smart Mailboxes" did appear in in SL Mail.

    I still want to install Leopard over Tiger on my old iMac and then try
    to sync my Mail accounts to my user account on my father's iMac. If my
    Mail accounts appear on his machine, then I'm golden.

    I'll try to update this thread for those who are interested.

    Thank you to all, except for the troll, who assisted me.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Jul 23, 2010
  10. IIRC, your old iMac won't run Leopard (800MHz G4, no?). So migrating to
    Leopard isn't really an option for you. If you manage to use various
    hacks to fool the installation disk, great. But it might just be easier
    to make a bullet-proof backup or two and take them over to your new iMac
    and recreate the environment by hand. That way you'll know what comes
    over and what doesn't.

    But you seem fixated on doing whatever you want regardless of the advise
    you get here, so I'm sure we'll hear from you on the success or utter
    FAIL of your efforts.

    Michael Vilain, Jul 23, 2010
  11. Kurt R. Todoroff

    John Varela Guest

    I agree with krishnananda that he's making life unnecessarily
    complicated for himself.

    The first thing he should do is make sure that he has two or three
    good backups of everything. Then go ahead and run Migration
    Assistant. If everything works on the new machine then wonderful!
    He's done. If not then he can erase Mail -- or the whole SL
    installation, if he wants to -- from the new machine and try his
    alternative procedures.

    Migration Assistant works well for most people. Why assume it will
    fail instead of at least giving it a try?

    John Varela, Jul 23, 2010
  12. Mission accomplished!

    I tried another experiment a few minutes ago. I copied the file
    "com.apple.mail.plist" from the Tiger iMac to my user account on my
    father's Snow Leopard iMac. Then I launched Mail on the SL iMac. Mail
    displayed all twenty-five Mail accounts. (Six POP and nineteen IMAP.)
    I can send and receive using them. When I purchased my new iMac, I will:

    1: Sync all of my "Mail Rules, Signatures, and Smart Mailboxes" by
    using MobileMe.

    2: Copy the file "com.apple.mail.plist" from the Tiger iMac to the SL
    iMac. This will create all of my Mail accounts.

    3: Copy ~Users/Myccount/Library/Mail/Mailboxes from the Tiger iMac to
    the SL iMac.

    By the way, Michael. The iMac G4 800 MHz will run Leopard. The
    installer will not recognize it as a supported Mac. "Various hacks" are
    unnecessary to install Leopard on this machine. I will connect the
    external Firewire 1TB backup hard drive to a friend's G5 Mac laptop, run
    the install disk on this drive, then reconnect this drive to my iMac G4
    and boot from it. Pretty simple. Don't have to hack the firmware or
    the installer.

    "Fixated", "utter FAIL"? Come now. Be nice, Michael.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Jul 24, 2010