Transferring OS 9 applications from OS 9 machine to OS X machine?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by AES/newspost, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. AES/newspost

    AES/newspost Guest

    To transfer a number of OS 9 applications from an existing OS 9 machine
    to a new OS X (Panther) machine, my understanding is that I copy the
    applications into the Applications (OS 9) folder on the new machine.

    (Some of my apps will be upgraded to new OS X versions, but many others
    won't.)

    But how do I handle the associated extensions and preferences? Can I
    just copy the entire old OS 9 System Folder into the same location? Or
    the old System Folder with certain stuff (such as the old System and
    Finder) removed? Or transfer individual preference files for the
    specific apps? To where?

    For that matter, if I'm upgrading certain programs from OS 9 to new OS X
    versions how can I -- or can I -- transfer their preference files?

    Thanks for any info.

    AES/newspost, Jan 3, 2005

  2. AES/newspost

    lee doran Guest

    To actually run those OS 9 applications you must have a Classic
    Environment installed on the new OS X (Panther) machine.

    That environment contains a fully working old OS 9 System Folder. That
    is where you put the preferences for those apps you move across.

    While your OS X mac may or may not boot into OS 9 natively, it still
    needs that OS 9 System Folder to run classic apps, and to those
    applications as they run inside the Classic Environment in OSX, the old
    System Folder is all they know about.

    For clarification, the equivalent in OSX is a folder at the top level of
    your drive named "System". Usually you shouldn't need to touch that and
    few things will put preferences/additions into it. "System" belongs to
    OS X as "System Folder" belongs to OS 9.

    lee doran, Jan 3, 2005

  3. AES/newspost

    Tim Murray Guest

    But won't copying the OS 9 System Folder wipe out some things in the Classic
    installation that are necessary? There are extensions in there that are not
    found in a regular OS 9 system.

    Tim Murray, Jan 3, 2005
  4. One other item. If you want to print from an application in Classic,
    you'll need an ethernet connection between your computer and the
    printer. Apple Talk won't work with a USB connection. I found out the
    hard way and had to get an ethernet card for my HP 2300 printer.

    George Berger, Jan 3, 2005
  5. AES/newspost

    lee doran Guest

    If there is an existing System Folder then yes they may be lost. However
    on the next run of Classic, OS X will indicate they are missing and
    replace them where needed. What may cause problems is that doing this
    will overwrite the preferences and possible support for existing Classic
    applications already on the OS X Mac.

    lee doran, Jan 3, 2005